Qualifications, Memberships & Awards
The evolutionary history of Tribe Senecioneae:Senecioneae is one of the largest tribes in the Asteraceae (ca. 3,100 species and 155 genera), has a nearly cosmopolitan distribution, and shows remarkable morphological and ecological diversity. To better understand the evolutionary success of Senecioneae and similarly large plant groups, we are taking a molecular phylogenetics approach to study the evolutionary relationships and mode and tempo of diversification of the SenecioneaeThe biodiversity and conservation of Philippine Rafflesia:The genus Rafflesia (Rafflesiaceae) is one of the few parasitic plants that are entirely contained within the tissue of their host plants. Rafflesia only emerges to produce its spectacular flowers, which are the largest of all flowering plants. Our studies of Philippine Rafflesia aim to make this charismatic genus an icon of conservation by demonstrating how knowledge of the taxonomic diversity, ecology, and evolutionary history of Rafflesia contributes to its conservation.Co’s Digital Flora of the Philippines:On November 15, 2010, esteemed Philippine botanist Leonardo L. Co was shot and killed during fieldwork on the island of Leyte. Co left behind a checklist of all Philippine flowering plants and thousands of plant photographs. These will be presented on a freely accessible website that will form the most comprehensive overview of the Philippine flora thus far.
- Pelser PB., Doble KJS., O Byrne P., Ormerod P. and Barcelona JF. (2016) Gastrodia cajanoae (Orchidaceae: Epidendroideae: Gastrodieae), a new species from the Philippines. Phytotaxa 266(1): 53-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.266.1.9.
- Pelser PB., Nickrent DL. and Barcelona JF. (2016) Untangling a vine and its parasite: Host specificity of philippine rafflesia (rafflesiaceae). Taxon 65(4): 739-758. http://dx.doi.org/10.12705/654.4.
- Pelser PB., Nickrent DL., Reintar ART. and Barcelona JF. (2016) Lepeostegeres cebuensis (Loranthaceae), a new mistletoe species from Cebu, Philippines. Phytotaxa 266(1): 48-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.266.1.8.
- Arnet M., Santos B., Brockerhoff EG., Pelser PB., Ecroyd C. and Clemens J. (2015) Importance of arboreta for ex situ conservation of threatened trees. Biodiversity and Conservation 24(14): 3601-3620. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10531-015-1024-3.
- Cheek M., Tandang DN. and Pelser PB. (2015) Nepenthes barcelonae (Nepenthaceae), a new species from luzon, philippines. Phytotaxa 222(2): 145-150. http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.222.2.7.