Qualifications & Memberships
A primary focus is currently on the diversity of New Zealand Cyanobacteria (blue-green algae). A combination of field samples and cultured isolates is being used to increase knowledge of this poorly known group. Widespread samples have been taken from the cyanobacteria-dominated and other communities in diverse habitats. It is hoped to extend the studies to combine traditional morphological approaches with those of molecular genetics.
- Bray J., Harding JS., Kilroy C., Broady P. and Gerbeaux P. (2016) Physicochemical predictors of the invasive diatom Didymosphenia geminata at multiple spatial scales in New Zealand rivers. Aquatic Ecology 50(1): 1-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10452-015-9543-2.
- Broady PA. (2015) Life on land: Aquatic ecosystems. In Liggett D; Storey B; Cook Y; Meduna V (Ed.), Exploring the Last Continent: An Introduction to Antarctica: 175-200. Cham: Springer International Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-18947-5_10.
- Broady PA. (2015) Life on land: Non-aquatic ecosystems. Exploring the Last Continent: An Introduction to Antarctica: 201-228. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-18947-5_11.
- Harland F., Wood SA., Broady P., Williamson W. and Gaw S. (2015) Changes in saxitoxin-production through growth phases in the metaphytic cyanobacterium Scytonema cf. crispum. Toxicon 103: 74-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.toxicon.2015.06.014.
- Muralidhar A., Shabala L., Broady P., Shabala S. and Garrill A. (2015) Mechanisms underlying turgor regulation in the estuarine alga Vaucheria erythrospora (Xanthophyceae) exposed to hyperosmotic shock. Plant, Cell and Environment 38(8): 1514-1527. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/pce.12503.