Qualifications & Memberships
My research team seeks to understand the role of free radical mediated cellular damage in disease pathogenesis and how antioxidant metabolism modulates these processes. Our work has focused on describing how oxidized low density lipoprotein (LDL) triggers macrophage cells death within the artery wall and how the macrophage generated pterins, neopterin and 7,8-dihydroneopterin, modulate both oxLDL formation and cytotoxicity. We specialise in cell culture analysis, HPLC, and general biochemistry analysis using photometric and immune analysis. We also have an active program of biochemical and image analysis of excised atherosclerotic plaques. The image analysis has lead to the development of a multi-energy X-ray machine (MARS-CT) using the X-ray cameras developed for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in CERN Switzerland.
- Prebble H., Cross S., Marks E., Healy J., Searle E., Aamir R., Butler A., Roake J., Hock B. and Anderson N. (2018) Induced macrophage activation in live excised atherosclerotic plaque. Immunobiology http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.imbio.2018.03.002.
- Gieseg SP., Healy JL., Prebble HM., Panta RK., Raja A., de Ruiter NJA., bateman CJ., Walsh MF., Bell ST. and Anderson NG. (2017) Spectral Imaging of Unstable Atherosclerotic plaque by MARS-Scanning. CERN, Geneva, switzerland: Medical Applications of Spectroscopic X-ray detectors, 16 May 2017.
- Lindsay A., Carr S., Cross S., Petersen C., Lewis JG. and Gieseg SP. (2017) The physiological response to cold-water immersion following a mixed martial arts training session. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 42(5): 529-536. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2016-0582.
- Lindsay A., Lewis JG., Gill N., Draper N. and Gieseg SP. (2017) No relationship exists between urinary NT-proBNP and GPS technology in professional rugby union. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 20(8): 790-794. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2016.11.017.
- Lindsay A., Petersen C., Blackwell G., Ferguson H., Parker G., Steyn N. and Gieseg SP. (2017) The effect of 1 week of repeated ischaemic leg preconditioning on simulated Keirin cycling performance: a randomised trial. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine 3(1) e000229: 9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjsem-2017-000229.