Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests converge around the home, everyday life, and the body as sites of social change. My empirical work is based in multi-ethnic northwest China and in urban Australia and New Zealand. I have extensive ethnographic experience in in Northwest China and Australasia, and am the only social scientist globally working on nappy-free infant hygiene. I am broadly interested in the transformative potential of hybrid research collectives for social and environmental change that begins in the home, particularly around concepts of hygiene. I am involved in a related project with with Katharine Mckinnon and Stephen Healy exploring economies of care (particularly maternity care). I am beginning a further project with others in the Community Economies Collective looking at mapping alternative economic practices in post-quake Christchurch, NZ.
- Diprose G., Dombroski K., Healy S. and Waitoa J. (2017) Community Economies: Responding to questions of scale, agency, and Indigenous connections in Aotearoa New Zealand. Counterfutures: Left Thought and Practice Aotearoa (4): 167-184.
- Dombroski K., Watkins AF., Fitt H., Frater J., Banwell K., Mackenzie K., Mutambo L., Hawke K., Persendt F. and Turković J. (2017) Journeying from “I” to “we”: assembling hybrid caring collectives of geography doctoral scholars. Journal of Geography in Higher Education : 1-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2017.1335295.
- Yamashita A., Gomez C. and Dombroski KF. (2017) Segregation, Exclusion and LGBT People in Disaster Impacted Areas: Experiences from the Higashinihon Dai-Shinsai (Great-East-Japan-Disaster). Gender, Place and Culture
- Dombroski K. (2016) Call and response: a reflection on Miranda Joseph’s Debt to Society from Aotearoa New Zealand. Journal of Cultural Economy 9(6): 604-610. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17530350.2016.1172249.
- Dombroski K. (2016) Hybrid activist collectives: reframing mothers’ environmental and caring labour. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy 36(9/10): 629-646. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJSSP-12-2015-0150.