My research interests sit at the nexus of freshwater, ecosystem and restoration ecology. I am a Postdoctoral Research Fellow on the Canterbury Waterway Rehabilitation Experiment (CAREX), a project funded by the Mackenzie Charitable Foundation, and the Freshwater Ecology Research Group in the School of Biological Sciences. We are undertaking research that seeks to address freshwater health issues in agricultural waterways, and are generating robust science to underpin restoration and management decisions. I am also interested in broader questions around the what drives variability in freshwater ecosystems. I use temporary streams, microbial communities and nutrient dynamics in human-impacted systems to explore interactions between ecosystem structure and function. I also work towards linking science with policy and am a Young Fellow on the UN Intergovernmental Science-Policy Panel on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES).
- Hosen JD., Febria CM., Crump BC. and Palmer MA. (2017) Watershed Urbanization Linked to Differences in Stream Bacterial Community Composition. Frontiers in Microbiology 8: 1452-1452. http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2017.01452.
- McIntosh AR., Leigh C., Boersma KS., McHugh PA., Febria C. and García-Berthou E. (2017) Food webs and trophic interactions in intermittent rivers and ephemeral streams. In Datry T; Bonda N; Boulton A (Ed.), Intermittent Rivers and Ephemeral Streams Ecology and Management: 323-347. London: Academic Press.
- Romaní AM., Chauvet E., Febria CM., Mora J., Risse-Buhl U., Timoner X. and Zeglin L. (2017) The biota of intermittent rivers: bacteria, fungi and protozoans. In Datry T; Bonanda N; Boulton A (Ed.), Intermittent Rivers and Ephemeral Streams (1st Edition ed.): 161-188.Academic Press.
- Goeller BC., Febria CM., Harding JS. and McIntosh AR. (2016) Thinking beyond the Bioreactor Box: Incorporating Stream Ecology into Edge-of-Field Nitrate Management. Journal of Environmental Quality 45(3): 866-872. http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/jeq2015.06.0325.
- Saunders MI., Brown CJ., Foley MM., Febria CM., Albright R., Mehling MG., Kavanaugh MT. and Burfeind DD. (2016) Human impacts on connectivity in marine and freshwater ecosystems assessed using graph theory: A review. Marine and Freshwater Research 67(3): 277-290. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/MF14358.