Accommodation for postgraduate students

Whether you are here for just a few weeks or a few years, UC has accommodation options to meet your needs.

Trio of flatmates Depositphotos 8537103

Halls of residence

We recognise that postgraduate study comes with different demands to undergraduate study and a postgraduate living environment can help support you and others at the same level of study.  We also understand the differing needs with start and end dates not always fitting into standard semester contracts. 

To meet these needs UC offers a postgraduate flexi contract with a 16 week minimum stay.  You are able to extend your contract after your initial 16 week stay.

There are four halls that offer the postgraduate flexi contract:

The availability of rooms will depend on the time of year you plan to arrive.  Couples rooms are very limited and renting privately will be required in some cases.  Room rates range from NZ$210 per week including power.  All rooms are fully-furnished and self-catered providing a shared kitchen equipped with basic essentials.

Postgraduate Flexi ContractContract LengthResidential FeeDeposit
Graduate House
Single room
Single ensuite room
Couples room
Couples ensuite room
16 weeks (minimum)
$210 per week
$220 per week
$260 per week
$270 per week
3 weeks' rent
King single room (bathroom 2:4)
Double ensuite room (own bathroom)
Self-contained studio unit (couple)
16 weeks (minimum)
$220 per week
$280 per week
$290 per week
3 weeks' rent
Ilam Apartments
Hinau:  3-5 bedroom apartments
16 weeks (minimum)
$210 per week
3 weeks' rent
Sonoda Christchurch Campus 16 weeks (minimum) $210 per week 3 weeks' rent

To apply, please complete an online application form. Click on "Registration" to begin your application and select the term "Postgraduate Flexi".

To find out more please email

Renting privately

Private rental accommodation is popular with postgraduate students offering an independent lifestyle and a great way to meet new people.  Market rent in Christchurch is found on the Tenancy Services website and will give you an idea of what you can expect to pay.  Please note that these rates do not differentiate between furnished or unfurnished or the condition of the room or property.  

If moving into an empty property, you will need to factor in set up costs into your budget:

  • up to 4 weeks' rent as bond
  • 1-2 weeks' rent in advance
  • a letting fee equivalent to 1 week's rent plus GST (Good and Services Tax)
  • power and internet
  • furniture and/or white ware (if unfurnished)
  • insurance for your contents

You also need to budget for ongoing monthly expenses such as power, internet, transport, food and personal items.  Refer to or for cost of living information.  

Do not sign a contract or agreement without viewing a property personally, therefore, we recommend that you arrange temporary accommodation for when you first arrive in Christchurch to enable you time to find a property that you will be happy in.  For families, we recommend arriving on your own first as temporary accommodation can be booked on campus at Sonoda whilst you find a suitable house to enable your family to join you. Temporary accommodation for a family can be very expensive.  

Be aware that many rental properties in Christchurch are not well insulated.  Your landlord should provide you with an Insulation Statement to enable you to make an informed decision about the property you are about to rent.  If you are new to renting in New Zealand, refer to the online Renting and You booklet published by Tenancy Services.

Find out more about renting privately.


If you are a single student, you may prefer homestay or private board. Homestay provides an affordable and attractive accommodation option in a New Zealand family environment. If you choose homestay accommodation, you can expect to be treated as part of the family – eating, socialising and relaxing with members of the household.  There is an 8 week miniumum stay.

Find out more about homestay and private board.

Temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation is usually paid for on a daily basis, for example a hotel or hostel. If you are only coming to UC for a short amount of time, or if you need short term accommodation while you look for a flat, temporary accommodation could be the answer.

Find out more about temporary accommodation.

More information

For more information about postgraduate accommodation options, contact Accommodation Services.