Transfer from master's to PhD
You can apply to do so after at least six months work on your master’s thesis. You must show substantial evidence of quality progress in your research.
Your HOD/HOS and supervisors must support your transfer so you need to discuss it with them before you do any of the steps below.
You need to submit:
- a letter explaining why you want to transfer
- a PhD Application form (DOC, 90KB)
- a comprehensive description of progress on your Master's thesis
- supervisor and HOD/HOS comments on your progress
- a completed Doctoral supervisory agreement form
Email the letter, application and supporting documents to The Postgraduate Office.
Please note that if you have a UC Master's Scholarship, this does not transfer into a UC Doctoral Scholarship, you must make that application separately.
If the Dean of Postgraduate Research approves it, your PhD enrolment will usually be backdated to the start of your master’s thesis enrolment.
If you are a full-time student you would have four years to complete your work after the date you started your master’s thesis, not four years from the time of transfer.