Figures and tables
APA does not provide precise rules for citing figures and tables. These guidelines are designed for use with data from sources such A.C. Nielsen, Passport GMID and Statistics New Zealand as well as from books and journal articles.
There are separate rules for figures and tables.
- Figures refer to graphs, flow charts, maps, drawings, photos, etc.
- Tables refer to numerical values or text displayed in orderly columns and rows
- All Figures and Tables should be numbered (e.g. Table 1, Table 2 etc.) and referred to in your document as Table 1 or Figure 1.
- Each table should have an individual title. Each word in the title should be italicized and capitalized except with, of, in, and, etc.
- All tables should be referenced in the text of the paper and in the reference list.
- UC Library database licence agreements allow students to use images in assignments. Statistics NZ also allows this. State copyright and also write: Reprinted with permission (see below).
Tables reproduced in your text
Table 1. Sales of Vitamins/Mineral & Herbal Supplements
Note. Retrieved from ACNielsen Market Information Digest New Zealand. Copyright 2011 by the Nielsen Company. Reprinted with permission.
As shown in Table 1, vitamins, minerals & herbal supplements sales ...
The Nielsen Company. (2011). Sales of vitamins/minerals & herbal supplements in New Zealand, 11 September 2010 - 11 September 2011 [Table]. Retrieved from ACNielsen Market Information Digest New Zealand.
Figures reproduced in your text
Figure 1. Youth unemployment rate vs. total unemployment rate: 2006-2011. Youth unemployment rate refers to the unemployed population aged 15-24 years old. Copyright 2013 by Euromonitor International. Reprinted with permission.
As Figure 1 shows, youth unemployment rate has risen from 9.9% to 17.7%...
Euromonitor International. (2013). Youth unemployment rate vs. total unemployment rate: 2006-2011 [Graph]. Retrieved from http://www.portal.euromonitor.com
Figure or table referred to (not reproduced)
... sales of apparel (Euromonitor International, 2012).
Euromonitor International. (2012). Sales of apparel by category, % volume growth 2006-2011 [Table]. In Apparel in China industry overview. Retrieved from http://www.portal.euromonitor.com
Creating your own figure or table
If you compile your own table or figure from data retrieved from another source (e.g. Statistics New Zealand), write ‘Adapted from’
Table 2. Median Weekly Household Income in the Auckland Region
Note: Adapted from http://nzdotstat.stats.govt.nz/wbos/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=TABLECODE2287. Copyright 2013 by Statistics New Zealand. Reprinted with permission.
... the median weekly household income in Auckland (see Table 2).
Statistics New Zealand. (2013). Median Weekly Household Income in the Auckland Region, 2008-2012 [Table]. Retrieved from http://nzdotstat.stats.govt.nz/wbos/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=TABLECODE2287
- If you create a table or figure from more than one source, list all the sources in your note and include them all in your reference list. If you have created an original table or figure from your own data, then state yourself as the copyright owner.
Figure or table from a book or journal article
For material reproduced from a journal article
Note. From “Best management practices by age” by D. Adams and B. Matthies, 2010, Journal of Management, 14(3), p. 62.
For material reproduced from a book
Note. From Management 101, p. 11, by M. Adams, 2009, Paris: Cafe College Press
See also AUT APA 6th Images.