Study Abroad - How can I apply?

Applications for first semester study (Feb-June) should be received by 1 November. Applications for second semester study (July-November) should be received by 15 April.

Download and complete the Study Abroad Application Form (PDF, 150 KB) and post it to us with:

  • originals or certified true copies of university (or other acceptable tertiary institution) academic transcripts, which list the courses studied and the grades achieved
  • evidence of English language proficiency (if English is not your first language). Students from Sweden, Norway, Germany or Denmark with a pass at a specified level in their final year of high school study may be exempted from a language test.


  • Late applications will be processed, but we recommend that you apply by the deadline to allow you time to make the necessary arrangements for studying abroad. Remember that the academic year in New Zealand is usually the reverse of the northern hemisphere year. The US or European first semester will normally approximate the dates of second semester at Canterbury, and the US or European second semester the dates of Canterbury's first. Our long summer recess runs November to February.


Please note that there is a separate online application for accommodation. Please see Information on the Study Abroad package at UC Accommodation Student Village.

Accommodation deadlines are:
Semester 1 (February start) – 1 December
Semester 2 (July start) – 1 May
It is important that you apply for accommodation by these deadlines.

Civil and Natural Resource Engineering

While the Department of Civil and Natural Resource Engineering welcomes Study Abroad and Exchange students and can usually accommodate most course requests,  there are limits on capacity in some Civil and Natural Resource Engineering courses. In order to ensure that you know in advance whether you will be able to be accommodated into the courses you need, we now require that all students wishing to take any Civil and Natural Resource Engineering courses (courses coded ENCN, ENNR or ENCI) include a list of courses they wish to take at UC with their application. Students who meet general admission requirements will be granted admission to the University first as per usual and your courses will then be sent to Department of Civil and Natural Resource Engineering for a decision as to whether you are able to take your selected courses. The International Relationships Office will then advise you as to which courses have been approved.

It is also recommended that students applying to other engineering disciplines provide a list of courses with their application.

Further information

Academic entry requirements for undergraduate study

Please see the Accommodation Office website for information about applying for on-campus accommodation.