Global Rugby Abroad
Global Rugby Abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity for College rugby enthusiasts – a rugby Study Abroad semester in Christchurch, New Zealand in which you’ll combine a semester of academic study at the University of Canterbury with specialized rugby training with the team behind New Zealand’s most successful elite Super Rugby franchise. You’ll have the chance to hone your rugby skills in the hotbed of world rugby and experience an innovative training and development culture, all while studying for credit towards your home university degree in New Zealand’s spectacular South Island.
The Global Rugby Abroad programme is comprised of two parts:
- A standard study abroad semester at the University of Canterbury
- A specialized rugby programme which runs throughout the semester, with pre-semester and mid semester training camps.
At a glance
- Open to male and female college rugby players of any academic major and rugby skill level
- Rugby training and conditioning will be scheduled in the mornings and early evenings to enable you to attend standard classes at UC and fully immerse yourself in the university experience.
- At UC you’ll undertake a Study Abroad semester of for-credit study, choosing from UC’s extensive course offerings across Liberal Arts, Science, Education, Engineering, Forestry, Music, Law and Business to meet your home university credit requirements and your own interests.
- Choose to enrol in either a full semester academic workload or a three quarter academic load
- Significant award funding is available to provide financial support for students enrolling in the programme in 2017.
UC International Welcome and enrolment: Monday 13 February – Wednesday 15 February 2017
Pre semester rugby experience: Thursday 16 February – Saturday 18 February 2017.
UC semester: Classes begin on 20 February. Exams end on 24 June 2017.
Mid semester rugby experience – dates to be confirmed.
Due to the additional commitment involved with the rugby programme, two Global Rugby Abroad options are available, depending on how many academic courses you wish to enrol in at UC.
1. Full academic workload (enrolment in 60-75 UC credit points): NZ $16250, including rugby programme fee of $4000
2. Three quarter academic workload (enrolment in 45 UC credit points): NZ $13190, including rugby programme fee of $4000
*Insurance and compulsory Student Services Levy are not included in the above price.
* Reciprocal Exchange students are also eligible to enrol in the rugby programme, for the $4000 rugby fee.
Financial support for 2017
Awards of up to NZ$3000 are available for the full semester academic workload option (enrolment in 60 credit points ) and NZ$2000 for the three quarter semester academic workload option (enrolment in 45 credit points). To apply for the award, please include with your application a short statement indicating why you believe the Global Rugby Abroad programme will be beneficial for you.
*Please note that these financial awards are available to Study Abroad students only. New Zealand Citizens and Permanent Residents and Reciprocal Exchange students are not eligible for the awards.
Global Rugby Abroad Programme
|Rugby programme||Academic programme (Study Abroad)|
Courses are also available to support and enhance the skills you’ll learn on the rugby field .While participants can choose any courses from UC’s extensive offerings, we recommend you consider including one of the following courses to complement your rugby training:
Pre-Semester Rugby Experience
16 – 18 February 2017
|Welcome and Induction||Fitness Testing 1||Conditioning and Skills|
|Medical and Well being Assessment||Observe Crusaders Training||Recovery Protocols|
|Skills Assessment||Team Building Activity||Fitness Testing 2|
|The Crusader Way||Nutrition and Mental Skills assessment||New Zealand Cultural Experience|
*Pre-semester programme is indicative only and may be subject to change.
In-Semester Rugby Experience
A typical week may look as follows (programme is indicative and subject to change):
|8-9am Strength and Conditioning/Medical Clinic||8-9am Strength and Conditioning||8-9am Strength and Conditioning||8-9am Strength and Conditioning||8-9am Strength and Conditioning||Recovery Swim – self directed|
|UC Classes||UC Classes||UC Classes||UC Classes||UC Classes||Attend Crusaders match *|
|5-6:30pm Modified Games||
|5-6:30pm Technical and Tactical Skills||4.30-5.30pm Technical and Tactical Skills||Free|
|Attend Club Training||Attend Club Training|
- Strength and Conditioning (daily): includes programming, testing, health and wellbeing, recovery.
- Technical and Tactical (weekly): includes observing Crusaders training; skill assessments; run, catch and pass; decision making and game sense; unit skills; positional skills; defence; breakdown.
- Seminars (weekly): may include mental skills; leadership; managing anxiety; game day routine; nutrition fundamentals; training and game day nutrition.
* Players will receive 3 free tickets to a home Crusaders match and have preferential bookings to other matches.
Mid-Semester Rugby Experience
|Group Review||Nutrition and Mental Skills Assessment 2||Breakfast with a Crusader|
|Fitness Test 3||Observe Crusaders Training||Technical and Tactical Skills|
Skills Assessment 2
|Fitness Test 4|
|Rugby Seminar||Group presentations|
|Attend Club Training||Group Dinner|
*Mid semester experience programme is indicative only and may be subject to change.
- Required rugby background
Open to male and female rugby players of any skill level. You’ll need to have a background in rugby and should be in good health and able to participate fully in training activities.
- Academic background
You should normally have completed at least one semester of university study at the time of application, with a GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent. Students outside of these requirements may also be considered on a case by case basis. English language requirements will apply if English is not your native language.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until 15 November. Spaces may be limited and minimum and maximum enrolment numbers may apply.
How to apply
Complete and submit the following:
- Study Abroad Application Form
- Rugby Study Abroad Application Form
- Originals or certified true copies of your transcript from your home university
- Evidence of English language proficiency if English is not your first language
- A copy of the photo page of your passport
Please email your application to email@example.com
Most Study Abroad students stay at Ilam Apartments on campus, which offers an accommodation package for Study Abroad students.
Find out more about our accommodation package for study abroad students.