China Scholarship Council / University of Canterbury Joint PhD Scholarship Programme
The University of Canterbury in New Zealand invites applications from Chinese postgraduate students to undertake doctoral study with the support of the University and the China Scholarship Council (CSC).
The Scholarship programme aims to develop research collaboration between the University and Chinese universities. The successful students will be based in Christchurch at the University of Canterbury, and undertake original research.
Potential PhD projects
A number of research projects are active and seeking doctoral students. Priority research areas are listed below and link to more information. Prospective students are strongly advised to contact the project supervisor to discuss potential doctoral research prior to submitting an application.
- Life Science and Public Health
- Materials Science and New Materials
- Information and Communication Technology (Computer Science and Software Engineering website)
- Energy and Environment
Scholarship details and application process
CSC scholarship recipients are provided with financial support from the China Scholarship Council (website) and a fees scholarship from the University of Canterbury, each tenable for up to four years.
Apply to the University of Canterbury for admission as a postgraduate student
Application form for admission for graduate and postgraduate programmes as an international student (PDF, 172 KB)
The following question appears on the last page of the admission application: How do you intend to pay for your studies? Please complete as follows:
Home government scholarship
China Scholarship Council
- If your application is successful, the University will send you an offer of place and advise the China Scholarship Council
- You then apply to the CSC for a scholarship and include the offer of place from the University
- If your CSC application is successful, the CSC will advise you and the University of Canterbury
- The University of Canterbury will then contact you to confirm your start date and to help you to complete your enrolment in the PhD programme
If you have any questions about the Joint University of Canterbury / China Scholarship Council Doctoral Programme, please contact the Postgraduate Office -