Global Awareness Summer Programme
Have you got plans this summer?
How would you like to be involved in implementing an aspect of the Canterbury Mayoral Forum's China Tourism Strategy? What about spending three weeks at Peking University in China? In conjunction with an internship through PACE295 you might just get there!
Welcome to the information session
Where: A9 Lecture Theatre
Time and date: 5.00 pm, Wednesday, 20 July 2016
If you would like to attend please email email@example.com
This prestigious internship opportunity works alongside the Canterbury Mayoral Forum Strategy concentrating on how the Canterbury region might best respond to the projected increase of visitors from China. How do we make our Chinese visitors feel welcome?
All internships offer valuable 'work' experience but this programme is unique. You will also get to spend three weeks in China conducting research for the internship, participating in field trips and undertaking classes on Chinese language and culture at an elite global university.
Peking University is ranked 41st in the 2015/16 QS World University Rankings and 42nd in the 2015/16 THE World University Rankings. It was also recently named the 21st most prestigious global university according to the 2016 THE World Reputation Rankings. This is based on a survey of more than 10,000 top scholars from around the world who were asked to name up to 15 universities that they believe are the best for research and teaching in their discipline.
This summer programme is open to undergraduate students from all degrees and majors. Successful applicants will enrol in the Collect of Arts internship paper, PACE295, worth 15 credits. Information on the College of Arts internship programme is available at http://www.arts.canterbury.ac.nz/internships/
2016 summer school dates:
This programme will run from Monday, 14 November 2016 to Thursday, 22 December 2016.
Introduction to the internship project and preliminary work will be undertaken in the week leading up to your departure for Beijing on Friday, 18 November 2016. You will arrive back in Christchurch on Saturday, 10 December 2016, and have two weeks to finalise the project before the Christmas and New Year break.
The fee for this programme is $2,700 and covers all of the below:
- Return flights from Christchurch to Beijing
- Accommodation and meals while there
- Activities and day trips in and around Beijing
- Pick up and drop off at airport
- Chinese visa
You will also need to enrol in, and pay the course fee for PACE295.
10 places available
3 the number of weeks that students will spend in Beijing
21 the ranking of Peking University in the 2016 THE World Reputation Rankings
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Global Awareness Summer Programme" as your subject line by the end of Sunday, 31 July 2016 and include:
- A China Internship Application form
- A 500 word essay explaining why you wish to participate in the Global Awareness Summer Programme and why you think you will be a good representative of the university.
Applications are open to all students who meet the following criteria:
- You must be a current undergraduate student, with priority given to those who are returning to their undergraduate studies in 2017.
- This programme is designed for students with no or little prior knowledge of China, although students with more extensive knowledge may be considered on a case by case basis.
- You will need to have a valid passport by the time that visa applications are submitted.
- It is recommended that Students have a GPA of 5.0 (B average) or above, but students with a GPA below this are still encouraged to apply. All applications will be considered on a case by case basis.