Peking University Summer Programme
Have you got plans this summer?
How about spending five weeks at Peking University in China while being involved in a project for a New Zealand organisation? Through the Peking University Summer Programme you might just get there!
Welcome to the information session
Where: A9 Lecture Theatre
Time and date: 24 July, 5pm and 31 July, 5pm
If you would like to attend please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This five-week programme organised in collaboration with Peking University provides an opportunity for 14 students to explore Beijing while working on a project for a New Zealand organisation including the Canterbury Mayoral Forum and Christchurch Educated.
You will also benefit by living near Peking University in the centre of Beijing. This combined with your project as well as language, history and culture classes will enable you to gain a unique insight into another culture, which is supplemented by a series of day trips in and around Beijing. This programme provides a series of experiences that would not otherwise be possible, framed by an academic programme designed to maximise leaning and growth.
Peking University is ranked 39th in the 2016/17 QS World University Rankings and 29th in the 2016/17 THE World University Rankings.
This summer programme is open to undergraduate students from all degrees and majors. Successful applicants will enrol in the Collect of Arts internship paper, PACE295, worth 15 credits. Information on the College of Arts internship programme is available at http://www.arts.canterbury.ac.nz/internships/
2017 summer school dates:
This programme will run from Friday, 17 November 2017 to Sunday, 24 December 2017.
Introduction to your project and preliminary work will be undertaken prior to your departure for Beijing on Friday, 11 November 2017. You will arrive back in Christchurch on Sunday, 24 December 2017.
This programme is fully funded in 2017, including all of the below:
- Return flights from Christchurch to Beijing
- Accommodation and meals while there
- Activities and day trips in and around Beijing
- Pick up and drop off at airport
- Chinese visa
You will also need to enrol in, and pay the course fee for PACE295.
14 places available
5 the number of weeks that students will spend in Beijing
1 the ranking of Peking University in China according to the THE World University Rankings 2016/17
To apply, please email email@example.com with "Peking University Summer Programme" as your subject line by the end of Wednesday, 9 August 2017 and include:
- A China Internship Application form
- A 500 word essay explaining why you wish to participate in the Peking University Summer Programme and how this will benefit you.
Applications are open to all students who meet the following criteria:
- You must be a current undergraduate student, with priority given to those who are returning to their undergraduate studies in 2018.
- This programme is designed for students with no or little prior knowledge of China, although students with more extensive knowledge may be considered on a case by case basis.
- You will need to have a valid passport by the time that visa applications are submitted.
- It is recommended that Students have a GPA of 5.0 (B average) or above, but students with a GPA below this are still encouraged to apply. All applications will be considered on a case by case basis.
I went with nine other students to Peking University. It's one of the most prestigious universities in China. We had language, history and culture classes, and also helped collect market research for Canterbury Mayoral Forum.
Read about Elise Wilson’s experience at Peking University on her personal blog. She talks about the programme, her internship and trips in and around Beijing.