How to apply to the ERHEC
The Educational Research Human Ethics Committee of the University of Canterbury (ERHEC), only accepts project applications for review from:
- academic staff of the University of Canterbury
- visiting academic staff
- Research Associates of the University of Canterbury, as endorsed by an academic staff member
- students who are enrolled in a course of study at the University of Canterbury and who will carry out research under the supervision of, or in collaboration with, an academic staff member of the university
All applications to the Upper South Health and Disability Ethics Committee also require a separate application to the appropriate University of Canterbury Human Ethics Committee.
Ethical Research Involving Children: A product of the ERIC (Ethical Research Involving Children) to help researchers consider the ethical complexities of research involving children. ERIC is a joint project between UNICEF’s Office of Research, Innocenti, the Childwatch International Research Network, the Centre for Children and Young People at Southern Cross University, Australia, and the Children’s Issues Centre at the University of Otago, New Zealand.
Guidelines for Low Risk ethics applications in the School of Teacher Education
- Processes for ethical approvals of educational research projects (Word 24KB)
- Assessment of Low Risk Ethical Approval Application (Word 16KB)
The above documents outline the processes for ethical approvals of educational research projects in the School of Teacher Education. Associate Professor Brigid McNeill is the member of the College of Education, Health and Human Development’s Research Committee who signs off Low Risk applications in the School of Teacher Education before they are submitted to the ERHEC
Procedures of the Educational Research Human Ethics Committee
The general procedure for applications to the ERHEC is:
- The Principles and Guidelines and the Application forms are downloaded and filled in by the applicant
- The completed application form and relevant supporting documents are sent electronically to the Secretary one week prior to the ERHEC monthly meetings (see dates below).
- One signed original is provided in hard copy to the Secretary one week prior to the ERHEC monthly meeting.
- Applications are circulated via email to ERHEC members
- The Committee review applications received at their monthly meetings (see dates below).
- The Chair and Secretary meet one week following the meeting to summarise the concerns and a response is sent to the applicant by email advising of any suggestions or required additions or amendments.
- Responses to the Secretary’s email are discussed with Chair and approval provided. Occasionally an application is required to be resubmitted for full review by the ERHEC.
- Final approval is by hard copy letter and by email from the Secretary
Application Forms, Templates & Examples
Applications: submit one electronic copy and one hard copy
Send to the Secretary, Ethics Committees - email@example.com
Hard copy (send by internal mail or take to Level 5 South, Matariki)
Level 5 South,
Application forms for ERHEC
- Application Form for Ethical Approval of Research Projects and Applicant Checklist (Word 113 KB)
This form is to be used by all staff and students undertaking educational research (unless the research meets the criteria for low-risk -see Principles and Guidelines pp4-6 for an explanation of low-risk).
- ERHEC Low Risk Application Form (Word 149 KB)
This form is to be used by staff and students undertaking low-risk educational research (see Principles and Guidelines pp4-6 for an explanation of low-risk).
- ERHEC Blanket Application Form (Word 131 KB)
This form is to be used by staff for undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate courses where students are required to undertake research that poses no threat to the well-being of the participants, and where the methodology and ethical considerations are very similar for all the projects (see Principles and Guidelines p6 for full details).
Templates for information sheets and consent forms
- Information Sheet and Consent Form Templates (PDF 42KB)
This template is the starting point for constructing an Information Sheet.
- Letterhead for Information Letters and Consent Forms (Word 59 KB)
This is the University of Canterbury letterhead which must be used for all information letters and consent forms.
- Outline of what must be included in Information Sheet (PDF 99 KB)
This outlines the information which must be included in an Information Letter.
- Outline of what must be included in Consent Form (PDF 99 KB)
This outlines the information which must be included in a Consent Form.
- Research Assistant Confidentiality Form Template (WORD, 94KB)
This template is the starting point for constructing a Research Assistant Confidentiality Form
- Transcriber Confidentiality Form Template (Word 19kb)
Examples to help you with your application, letters and consent form(s)
- Example Application form (PDF, 159 KB)
- Example Blanket Application Form (PDF 261 KB)
- Example Slideshow information for young children (PDF, 199kb)
- Example Assent letter for young children (Word, 160KB)
Who should apply to the Educational Research Human Ethics Committee
Any research or teaching activity in which persons are subjected to experimental procedures or observation or questioning or otherwise used as a source of information or data unless excluded by the scope and exemptions in the Educational Research Human Ethics Committee Principles and Guidelines.
Apply to the Educational Research Human Ethics Committee (ERHEC) if your research is conducted as part of pre-service and in-service teacher education and professional development or tertiary level professional practice, or if you research will take place in a School with school-aged children
Please refer to the Policy, Guidelines and Principles linked from the top right of the page.
ERHEC Committee monthly meeting dates
ERHEC meeting dates, with the exception of December, are on the fourth Wednesday of the month and commence at 3.00pm.
The dates for 2017 are as follows:
25 January, 22 February, 22 March, 26 April, 24 May, 28 June, 26 July, 23 August, 27 September, 25 October, 22 November, December TBC.
If you have any questions, please contact the Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org.