On the day
Graduands should assemble at the marked assemby area where Marshalls will mark you off and line you up. If the weather is inclement, this will be announed on Newstalk ZB and graduands should assemble behind the CBS stage through Gate 1. Assembly times are 9.10 am for a morning ceremony and 1.10 pm for an afternoon ceremony.
Please respect your fellow graduands and their guests. Do not leave the auditorium during the ceremony.
The ceremony procedure is as follows:
- Graduands will process into the Auditorium and to their seats. You will sit down, still wearing your trencher.
- At the start of the academic procession graduands will rise when the fanfare is sounded and remain standing for the New Zealand National Anthem.
- You may then take your seat and remove your trencher (it is not replaced until after your degree has been conferred).
- Once everyone is seated the Chancellor will then convene the ceremony for the conferment of degrees.
- Degrees are presented singly in the order in the programme. If you are carrying a posy leave it on the chair before walking to the stage.
- When your name is called:
- Walk across the stage to the Chancellor, shake his hand, take the degree/diploma certificate offered to you and don your trencher;
- Continue down the steps at the centre of the stage;
- Return to your seat.
- During the ceremony there will be a musical performance.
- After the presentations are completed, a speaker will address the audience.
- Please stand to sing Gaudeamus then remain standing as the Academic party leaves the Auditorium.
- Once the academic party is clear of the stage the Marshals will indicate for you to follow out into the foyer.