Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the environment, incorporating its structure and functioning, and human interactions with the environment.
Environmental Science is an integrative subject that builds on a strong disciplinary base in a major undergraduate subject such as Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Geography or Geology, with additional relevant study in areas including Antarctic Studies, Forestry, Ecology, Freshwater Management, Mathematics, Science, Māori and Indigenous Knowledge, and Statistics.
Why study Environmental Science at UC?
UC operates field stations at Cass (in the Canterbury high country), Kaikōura, Harihari (South Westland) and Westport that are particularly well-equipped for Environmental Science teaching and research.
To receive an endorsement in Environmental Science you must major in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Geography or Geology and complete the 360 points for the Bachelor of Science degree. Of the 360 points, you must complete the core courses (60 points) for this endorsement:
- knowledge of ecosystem processes: BIOL112 Ecology, Evolution and Conservation
- knowledge of human-environment interaction: either GEOG106 Global Environmental Change or GEOL113 Environmental Geo-hazards skills
- in Geographic Information Science: GEOG205 Introduction to GIS skills
- in basic maths and/or statistics: one 100-level course in either STAT or MATH, or BIOL209 Introduction to Biological Data Analysis
- as well as the required courses towards your major.
For the full degree requirements, see the Regulations for the BSc website.
Environmental Science is a growth area for careers. Well-educated people with strong technical and communication skills are needed to help identify, to monitor and to contribute to solving a variety of problems associated with the environment and with the use and allocation of resources and sustainability.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Environmental Science.
More informationDepartment of Chemistry
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800