Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori
This diploma provides an introduction to research-based knowledge about te reo Māori, emphasising linguistic competence and critical thinking about a number of contemporary aspects of the language.
Students take the advanced language course TREO401 Te Reo: Te Kōhure and three other Te Reo Māori courses.
Students who complete the diploma with Merit or Distinction may transfer to the Master of Te Reo Māori.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard.
Qualification specific requirements
Candidate wishing to enrol in the Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori must have one of the following:
- qualified for a bachelor’s degree with a major in Te Reo Māori, or
- qualified for a bachelor’s degree and have completed a Graduate Diploma in Arts in Te Reo Māori or Te Pourua Reo: Diploma in Te Reo Māori, or
- qualified for a bachelor’s degree and have relevant professional experience and fluency in Te Reo Māori.
For full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori or use the admission requirements checker.
You are also required to meet UC’s English language requirements.
Qualification structure and duration
The course of study for the PGDipTeReo shall comprise courses equivalent to 120 points.
One year full-time or up to four years part-time.
Subjects and courses
The Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori includes TREO401 Te Reo: Te Kōhure and three other courses from TREO402-440.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Te Reo Māori.
For study planning help contact Aotahi - School of Māori and Indigenous Studies or the College of Arts:College of Arts
University of Canterbury
History Building, Level 4
Private Bag 4800