Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship
The Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship is a one-year programme made up of four practice-oriented and fascinating courses. The diploma is an alternative to an honours year which will appeal to students intending to work in museums, art galleries and commercial art sectors.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard. You are also required to meet UC’s English language requirements.
Qualification specific requirements
Candidates must be qualified with a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Fine Arts, be admitted Ad Eundem Statum as the holder of such a degree, or must produce evidence of extensive practical, professional or scholarly experience to the satisfaction of the Academic Board.
Entry will be approved by the Dean of Arts on the recommendation of the Head of the School of Fine Arts. For full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship or use the admission requirements checker.
Qualification structure and duration
To qualify for the PGDipArtCuratorship a student must satisfactorily pass all the courses specified in the schedule to the diploma.
Students study the diploma full-time for one year. They can begin their studies in February or July.
Subjects and courses
The PGDipArtCuratorship is made up of four courses:
- 'The Art Museum Past and Present',
- a special project in staging an exhibition
- a gallery internship and
- one course from the Art History or Art Theory honours schedule.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Art Curatorship.
For study planning help contact Art History and Theory or the College of Arts: