Postgraduate Diploma in Education endorsed in Inclusive and Special Education
This Postgraduate diploma gives students the opportunity to improve their professional knowledge, professional practice, and the ability to critically examine significant issues in inclusive and special education. Students may proceed to the Master of Education.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard.
Qualification specific requirements
Candidates must be approved as a candidate for the diploma by the Dean of Education, and have either:
- qualified for any appropriate degree in New Zealand with at least 0.45 EFTS at 300-level in Education; or
- qualified for any appropriate degree in New Zealand and either;
- successfully completed a recognised teacher training course of not less than one year at a New Zealand college of education or university;
- or acquired experience as a teacher, educator or counsellor in a recognised work place or community setting; or
- completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Education; or
- been admitted Admission Ad Eundem Statum.
The relevance and standard of undergraduate studies and any subsequent professional work experience are the main criteria of approval.
Students will normally be expected to have at least a B average in their 300-level courses.
For full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Education or use the admission requirements checker.
You are also required to meet UC’s English language requirements.
Qualification structure and duration
The PGDipEd Inclusive and Special Education comprises a total of 120 points:
A candidate wishing to enrol in a thesis for the Master of Education following the award of this diploma should note that completing 0.25 EFTS (30 points) of approved research methodology courses will normally be required.
One year full-time, up to four years part-time.
Subjects and courses
For the up-to-date schedule of courses, visit our University Regulations website.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Education.
For more information on this endorsement, see the Inclusive and Special Education brochure.
For study planning help contact the College of Education:College of Education, Health and Human Development
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800