Graduate Diploma in Science
This diploma offers people who hold a bachelor's degree in a major in an unrelated area the opportunity to study science in-depth. It is designed to provide a qualification for graduates seeking to qualify for entry to postgraduate qualifications in science, change career direction, or to extend or upgrade their existing qualifications.
The GradDipSc may be awarded with Distinction.
Graduate certificates and diplomas require a bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard. You are also required to meet UC’s English language requirements.
Qualification specific requirements
Candidates must have qualified for any bachelor's degree and be approved by the Dean of Science. Acceptance will depend on the standard and relevance of previous studies.
Qualification structure and duration
Students take courses from the Bachelor of Science schedule and are required to pass courses totalling a minimum of 120 points including 90 points at 300-level.
One year full-time or two or more years part-time. Students can begin their studies in February or for some subjects, in July – please contact the relevant department for clarification.
Subjects and courses
Subject areas for the Graduate Diploma in Science are:
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
How to apply
Find out how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
This qualification is an ideal pathway into postgraduate study. UC offers over 16 postgraduate qualifications in science.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Graduate Diploma in Science.
For study planning help contact:
College of Science
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800