Graduate Diploma in Forestry
This diploma is offered to graduates who:
- do not have a first degree in forestry
- are looking to update and retrain
- wish to develop advanced knowledge through coursework
- are from countries where the forestry degree is less quantitative than in New Zealand.
Graduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard. You are also required to meet UC’s English language requirements.
Qualification structure and duration
The GradDipFor normally consists of courses (a minimum of 120 points) selected from the schedule of the Bachelor of Forestry Science degree. Of these courses, at least 90 points will be at 300 and 400-level.
The diploma can be studied in one year full-time or over two years part-time. Students can begin their studies in February or July.
Any bachelor's degree, although some background in a science subject, statistics, or economics is recommended.
How to apply
Find out how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Graduate Diploma in Forestry.
For study planning help contact:
New Zealand School of Forestry
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800