Step 3. Complete your application

Get informal acceptance of your project

If a supervisor expresses interest in your proposed study, they need to give you informal acceptance of your doctoral project and/or an endorsement for you to proceed to a formal application for admission.

Processes for reaching this stage can vary across colleges, schools and departments. Some will require well-developed research proposals that need to be assessed by a committee, while others may grant acceptance on the basis of a broad research outline that can be further developed after admission.

Submit your formal application

Once your project has been informally accepted, you can proceed to formal application for PhD admission. Use the PhD and Doctoral degree application form to apply:

You also need the following supporting documents to apply:

  1. Original or certified copies of all tertiary-level academic transcripts and grading schemes
  2. If English is your second language, you may also need to provide an original copy of English language test results to confirm you meet UC’s English language requirements
  3. Individual departments/schools may have additional requirements and you need to make sure that you are aware of the processes in your Department/School

Submit your completed application form and supporting documents to the Admissions Team:

By post

University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch 8140
New Zealand 

By courier

University of Canterbury
20 Kirkwood Avenue
Christchurch 8041
New Zealand 

Or email

International students

To enrol as an international student at the University of Canterbury, you must have medical and travel insurance for the duration of your study. Your insurance cover must meet a minimum set of requirements. The following options meet the minimum requirements and have been approved by UC.

Find out more about insurance for incoming international students.

Document requirements

As part of the admissions process you will need to submit a number of documents. Admission can be initially assessed on electronic copies of documents but only original or certified true copies of academic certificates and transcripts will be accepted for enrolment. Documents may be certified as true copies by:

  • A justice of the peace
  • A notary public
  • A solicitor
  • A commissioner of oaths
  • An official of the institution that issued the document

If English translations are necessary they should be certified translations.

More information

Admissions and Enrolment
Freephone in New Zealand 0800 VARSITY (827 748)
Phone +64 3 369 4999

Level 2, Matariki