Step 3. Complete your application

What kind of student you are will determine the application forms you will need to fill out.

Apply now with myUC

If you will be a domestic or international student you can apply online with myUC, the University of Canterbury's student portal, for most qualifications. These include:

Additional forms

If you want to apply for any of the following you will need to follow a separate application process:

Information you need to apply

You need the following information on hand to apply with myUC:

  • Your National Student Number (NZN) or New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) number (if you have one)
  • Your IRD number, if you intend to pay your tuition fees with a New Zealand Government student loan
  • Details of the qualifications and courses you plan to study
  • If you are an international student you will also need your Passport details

Document requirements

When you apply you will need to upload a number of documents. The preferred file type is PDF but DOC, DOCX, JPG, and PNG's are also accepted. The file size must be less than 10MB. 

Qualifications that cannot be applied for with myUC

Some of our Graduate and postgraduate programmes have a selection process in addition to the University's Application to Enrol. If you are applying for any of the teacher training programmes in Early Childhood, Primary or Secondary you need to complete an application form (Application for Programme Entry). Completed applications are assessed by the selection panel and suitable applicants will be invited to attend an interview.

Information is available on the Teacher Education application page for the following programmes:

  • Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood Teaching
  • Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (Primary), or the
  • Graduate Diploma in Teaching and Learning (Secondary)
  • Master of Teaching and Learning endorsed in Early Childhood, Primary or Secondary

Incoming student exchange

Please visit the webpage above to see the information for the incoming exchange students.

Use this form if your home university is one of UC’s exchange partners and you want to study at UC for one or two semesters on the   programme:

Incoming study abroad

Please visit the Study Abroad Programme web page for more information about the programme.

Use this form if your home university is not a UC exchange partner and you want to study at UC for one or two semesters on the   programme:

Additional forms

Depending on your chosen study you may need to complete the following additional qualification application forms.

Excess workload

Use this form if you have applied for more than 75 points per semester or more than 30 points of summer school courses:

International students

To enrol as an international student at the University of Canterbury, you must have medical and travel insurance for the duration of your study. Your insurance cover must meet a minimum set of requirements.

Find out more about insurance for incoming international students

Document requirements

As part of the admissions process you will need to submit a number of documents. Admission can be initially assessed on electronic copies of documents but only original or certified true copies of academic certificates and transcripts will be accepted for enrolment. Documents may be certified as true copies by:

  • A justice of the peace
  • A notary public
  • A solicitor
  • A commissioner of oaths
  • An official of the institution that issued the document

If English translations are necessary they should be certified translations.

More information

Admissions and Enrolment
Freephone in New Zealand 0800 VARSITY (827 748)
Phone +64 3 369 4999

Level 2, Matariki

If you are a continuing student, you should submit your re-enrolment application through myUC using your UC username and password.