Counting down to Orientation Day
Only one week to go until your first day at UC! We are looking forward to welcoming you into the UC community and helping you to get the best possible start at UC. Below is some important information to help make your O Day experience as carefree as possible.
O Day | Herea tō waka
Friday 16 February, 9.30am - 2.00pm
Useful things to remember:
- Bring your O Day ticket.
- Download the O Day app.
- Car parking is available in the Clyde Road car park. It is limited, so consider carpooling with friends. For bus and cycling options check out UC’s transport page.
- They start at Science Road and Arts Road - both trails have the same information.
- Remember to bring cash for all the delicious food truck options on offer.
- The day will continue whatever the weather, you might need sunscreen or an umbrella, or both.
Everything you need to know about O Day is included in a handy pocket pamphlet. There will be hard copies on the day or download the app.
Grab your College wristband and wear it with pride!
On O Day collect wristbands featuring your College colour along the O Day trail.
Keep an eye out for other students wearing the same colour, you might be sitting next to them in a lecture before you know it!
On O Day Information sessions take place at 10am and 11am. If you are doing a double degree, but your College sessions are on at the same time you will be able to ask questions at the Information Hub in the Undercroft throughout the day.
UC Arts - 10am
UC Business - 10am
UC Engineering - 10am
UC Education, Health and Human Development - 11am
UC Science - 11am
UC Law - 11am
Get connected with social media
Keep track of what’s happening at O Day. Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and check us out on Instagram for live updates. Share your Orientation Day experience on Instagram and you could win a UC Starter Pack worth over $200 - prices include UC apparel, accessories, stationery and UCSA café vouchers! To enter, simply follow @ucnz and use #ucnow on your O Day pics! Competition Terms and Conditions.
UC photographers will be out and about on the day taking photos of your experience. These images or short videos may be used by the University of Canterbury in future for online or print publications, and may be placed on official UC social media profiles - if you'd prefer not to be captured let the person behind the camera know (they are friendly and won't be offended!).
Explore UC Insider's Guide where students share their experiences.
Keep up with what's happening at UC. Check out our social media options.
UC photographers and videographers will be out and about on the day taking photos of your experience. These images or short videos may be used by the University of Canterbury in future online or for print publications, and may be placed on official UC social media profiles - if you'd prefer not to be captured let the person behind the camera know (they are friendly and won't be offended).
Special requirements and accessibility
Information at UC Orientation will primarily be in verbal and printed formats and may be delivered at a range of locations around campus.
If you require information in an alternative format such as New Zealand Sign Language, enlarged print or Braille, or if you will require mobility assistance, please contact the Disability Resource Service Team, phone: 03 364 2350 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents/whānau bringing children
Lost and found children should be reported to UC Security staff or a UC staff member wearing a red t-shirt as soon as possible. Any missing children will be found with a coordinated response from Security staff and event organisers. Found children will be taken to the Welcome Centre on the ground floor of the Matariki building until their parent or caregiver is located.
UCSA presents…Around the World in O'Week 2018
- Tribal Toga (R18) – an absolute MUST for first year students.
- Comedy Night (R18) – hilarious hi-jinks thanks to some of New Zealand’s best comedians!
- Ochella (R18) – 3,000 students, two stages, a huge line up and one awesome O’Week party!
- Mono (R18) – bringing you bigger names, larger acts and turning it up every Thursday at The Foundry for FREE! Like our Mono page for more details. See ya Thur!
- Electric Ave (17+) – the biggest music festival in Christchurch this year. Grab a ticket as part of our combo deals.
- Free events (all age) – grab a snag at Lunch on the lawn, catch a movie at Kia ora Bro, and join a club on Clubs day.
O’Week event tickets do sell out - get yours now.
Make sure you like the UCSA Facebook page, for everything you need to know!
You can also volunteer at O'Week events, it's a great way to meet people, find out more here.