The Erskine Programme administers Erskine and Canterbury Grants, Visiting Erskine and Canterbury Fellowships, along with Grants and Fellowships under the Cambridge/Canterbury Academic Exchange and the Oxford/Canterbury Academic Exchange.
Erskine Fellowships and Grants are available to the
Faculties of Commerce, Engineering and Science. Canterbury Fellowships and Grants are available to non-Erskine eligible Faculties.
The Cambridge/Canterbury Academic Exchange and the Oxford/Canterbury Academic Exchange are open to all Faculties.
Visiting International Academics Visitor Visa
The visiting academics visitor visa allows academics to travel to New Zealand as a visitor without the need to obtain a work visa. The visiting academic visitor visa will allows a stay for up to three months, or for a maximum of three months in any one year if several trips are made to New Zealand. Beyond that period a work visa is required. This is only available to residents of visa free countries (eg UK, USA).
Visiting Fellows are responsible for arraning their own visas to New Zealand. Vistors should ensue that they leave sufficient time to arrange any required visas, as they can take up to 3 months to be processed. Where a visitor fails to obtain any necessary visas before departure which prevents them from coming to New Zealand, they will be liable to reimburse the Erskine Programme, in full, for any costs incurred (i.e. airline tickets, accommodation costs).
If you require any further information please contact the Erskine Programme Manager.
Temporary Work Visa
Passport holders of non-visa-free countries or visitors staying longer than 3 months should apply for a Temporary Work Visa under Specific Purposes or Event, on Form NZINZ1015 which may be downloaded from NZ Immigration.
Visiting Fellowships to Canterbury
- Potential Visiting Fellowship Nominees (pdf, 67 kb)
- Visiting Erskine/Cambridge/Canterbury/Oxford Fellowships information (pdf, 395 kb)
- Staff - Visiting Erskine/Cambridge/Canterbury/Oxford Fellowships information (pdf, 149 kb)
- Application forms are available only to university staff.
Grants may be awarded to teachers who are staff in a continuing role at the University of Canterbury to enable staff members to increase their knowledge in any such subjects so as to better enable them to teach those subjects to students. In the case of new staff members, Grants are available after one full year of service.
- Erskine Grant Information for Staff (pdf, 141 kb)
- Canterbury Grant Information for Staff (pdf 70 kb)
- Cambridge Grant Information for Staff (pdf 98 kb)
- Oxford Grant Information for Staff (pdf 97 kb)
Links of interest
- Life in Christchurch - For information on Christchurch Today, Location and Lifestyle, News and Weather, and Sport in Christchurch
- Christchurch City Council
- Christchurch Heritage
- Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism - Canterbury region, favourite escapes, Find a Bed, Wine Trails, Visitor Attractions and more
- New Zealand Tourism Guide - Christchurch regional guide
- Launched in January 2011, Neat Places is an independent guide to Christchurch’s best.......
- UC SPARK - University of Canterbury system for people and research knowledge
- Gifting to the University of Canterbury Foundation