Computer Graphics and Image Processing Research Group
What is the CGIP research group?
This CGIP research group focusses on the development of novel and efficient algorithms for various applications in the following areas:
- Real-time rendering: GPU algorithms and implementations, Spherical harmonic lighting
- Facial expression analysis, recognition, mapping: Deformation tables, Expression interpolation
- Crowd simulation: Rendering of large crowds, Behaviour modelling, Acceleration algorithms
- Non-photorealistic rendering: Painterly rendering, Texture based NPR, Stroke based NPR
- Fluid modelling and rendering: Simulations using Navier-Stokes equations, Level sets, Particle systems
- Moment based image features: Moment invariants, Fast computation of moments, Local Tchebichef Moments
- Texture analysis: Texture feature descriptors, Texture segmentation methods in biomedical image analysis
- Multifractal analysis: Multi-fractal spectra, Multi-fractal decomposition
- Biomedical image analysis: HRCT, WSI and tissue image analysis, volumetric reconstructions, biomedical image classification
- Parallel computations: OpenCL implementations of image processing algorithms
Image Classification Using Multifractal Features
This project aims to develop efficient classification schemes based on multifractal feature descriptors for applications in the analysis of Emphysema patterns in HRCT images.
Artistic Style Characterization Brush stroke characterization and style analysis
This project focusses on style analysis and representation methods for applications in the field of non-photorealistic rendering. Brush stroke extraction algorithms are developed and stroke based style analysis performed for building style features that could be further used for stroke rendering.
Visual Style Algorithmic Properties of Visual Style
This research focuses on the development of measures for stylistic classification, replication and generation of graphics. Such metrics will be based on contextural geometric units as well as image properties.
Crowd Simulation Crowd Simulation and Animation
This research aims to develop efficient collision detection and motion planning algorithms for crowd simulation and animation. An extended oriented bounding volume is used for geometry and motion representation.
Lung Segmentation HRCT Lung Segmentation
A fully automatic method is developed for identifying and segmenting lung regions in High-Resolution Computed Tomography (HRCT) images.
Tissue Tissue Image Processing
This project looks at the relationship between various multifractal measures of cell structures in tissues and the corresponding pleomorphic scores assigned by pathologists. The Holder exponent of local intensity variations is used to identify Mitotic cells
Facial Expression Facial Expression Representation
Quadratic deformation models are applied to motion capture data to obtain generic transformation parameters that represent different types of facial expressions. These parameters can then be used to transfer the expression to two or three dimensional models.
- CGIV-2009 SIGGRAPH-2010
- ACE-2009 CGIV-2010
Multifractals Tissue Image Classification Using Multifractals
The theoretical and implementation aspects for multifractal based classification techniques are studied and used for representing certain shape characteristics of tissue and cell images using multifractal spectra.
Facial Animation Facial Expression Animation
Muscle regions are automatically mapped to a two-dimensional sketch based model or an image, based on primary feature points, and then deformed using rubber-sheet transformation coefficients derived for a given facial expression. The model is animated by interpolating the transformation coefficients from the neutral expression to the given expression for each muscle region. Additional facial features are added for enhancing the realism of the generated facial animation sequence.
J2ME J2ME Computer Vision Library for Mobile Devices
This research explores the feasibility of using Java (J2ME) to develop cross platform computer vision applications for mobile phones with integrated cameras. Several AR applications on J2ME enabled mobile phones are developed and tested using the library. Experiments are conducted to evaluate the compatibility, portability and efficiency of vision algorithms and functions implemented in the library.
Painterly Rendering Fast Algorithm for Painterly Rendering on Mobile Devices
A low-complexity painterly rendering algorithm suitable for implementation on mobile devices is developed. A sequential connected component labelling algorithm is used to represent regions of similar color in an index buffer and a color table. All subsequent processing is done on the index buffer to minimise computational complexity.
Pattern Recognition Radial-Tchebichef Invariants for Pattern Recognition
A new class of global shape descriptors based on Tchebichef polynomials is developed for applications in pattern recognition. The definition of Radial-Tchebichef moments is very similar to Zernike moments, except that the kernel functions are discrete orthogonal polynomials. Rotational invariants can be easily derived from these moment functions because of their radial-polar structure.
- Dr. R. Mukundan - Image feature representation, Biomedical image analysis, Real-time rendering
- Dibash Basukala - Medical Image Analysis, MRI Image Segmentaion, Image Feature Extraction
- Bai Ori Ganoni - 3D Simulation Environments, Vision Based Autonomous Navigation, Medical Image Analysis
- Tieta Putri - Non-Photorealistic Rendering, Evolutionary Algorithms, Particle Swarm Optimization
- Huyuan Shangguan - Character Animation, 3D Feature Tracking, Motion Retargetting
- Prerna Singh - Ultrasound Image Segmentation, Image Enhancement, Medical Image Analysis
- Huidong Bai (Ph.D) - Mobile Augmented Reality, Gesture Recognition, 3D Tracking
- Oliver Batchelor (M.Sc) - Voxel Colouring, Volumetric Reconstruction, Realtime Rendering
- Philip Buchanan (Ph.D) - Visual Style, 3D Content Generation, Realtime Rendering
- Huaqing Chen (M.Sc) - Multifractal Analysis, Biomedical Image Segmentation, Medical Image Processing
- Charles Han (M.Sc) - Mobile Graphics, GPU Algorithms, Non-Photorealistic Rendering
- Oliver Hunt (M.Sc) - Compiler Design, Image Analysis, Realtime Rendering
- Musibau Ibrahim (Ph.D) - Biomedical Image Analysis, Image Classification, Multifractal Descriptors
- Bo Li (M.Sc) - Crowd Simulation, Acceleration Algorithms, Path Planning
- Mohammad Obaid (Ph.D) - Non-Photorealistic Rendering, Facial Expression Animation, Shape Models
- Jung Shin (M.Sc) - Cartoon Rendering, Character Animation, Non-photorealistic Rendering
- Jacky Tay (M.Sc) - Multifractal Analysis, Biomedical Image Segmentation, Medical Image Processing
Advanced Methods in Computer Graphics - With Examples in OpenGL
Springer, London (Mar 2012) ISBN 978-1447123392.
Chapter 6: Local Tchebichef Moments for Texture Analysis
in Moments and Moment Invariants – Theory and Applications,
Ed. George A. Papakostas, Science Gate Publishing. (Jul 2014) ISBN 978-618-81418-0-3.
Singh, P., Mukundan, R., de Ryke, R., "Modelling, Speckle Simulation and Quality Evaluation of Synthetic Ultrasound Images", Proc. Medical Image Understanding and Analysis, MIUA-2017, Univ. of Edinburgh, 11-13 July 2017, Springer CCIS 723, pp. 74-85.
Mukundan, R, "A Robust Algorithm for Automated HER2 Scoring in Breast Cancer Histology Slides Using Characteristic Curves", Proc. Medical Image Understanding and Analysis, MIUA-2017, Univ. of Edinburgh, 11-13 July 2017, Springer CCIS 723, pp. 386-397.
Ganoni, O., Mukundan, R., "A Framework for Visually Realistic Multi-robot Simulation in Natural Environment", 25th International Conference on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision (WSCG-2017), Plzen, Czech Republic, 29 May - 2 June, 2017.
ShangGuan H, Mukundan, R, "Video based motion capture in environments with non-stationary background", Proc. Intnl. Conf. on Signals and Systems ICSigSys-2017), Indonesia, 16-18 May 2017, pp. 44-49.
Singh, P., Mukundan, R., de Ryke, R, "Synthetic models of ultrasound image formation for speckle noise simulation and analysis", Proc. Intnl. Conf. on Signals and Systems ICSigSys-2017), Indonesia, 16-18 May 2017, pp. 278-284.
Putri, T., Mukundan, R., Neshatian, K, "Artistic Style Characterization of Vincent Van Gogh’s Paintings using Extracted Features from Visible Brush Strokes", Proc. Intnl. Conf. on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods (ICPRAM), Porto, 24-26 Feb 2017, pp. 378-385.
R. Mukundan, "Reconstruction of High Resolution 3D Meshes of Lung Geometry from HRCT Contours", Proc. of IEEE Intnl. Symposium on Multimedia, San Jose, 11-13 Dec 2016, pp. 247-252.
Tieta Putri, Mukundan, R., "Iterative Brush Path Extraction Algorithm for Aiding Flock Brush Simulation of Stroke-Based Painterly Rendering". In Evolutionary and Biologically Inspired Music, Sound, Art and Design. Springer International Publishing, Mar 2016, pp. 152-162.
R. Mukundan, "Multilevel Stroke Textures for Sketch Based Non-Photorealistic Rendering", Proc. of 6th Intnl. Conf. and Workshop on Computing and Communication – IEMCON15, University of British Columbia, 15-17 Oct 2015.
Musibau Ibrahim, R. Mukundan, "Analysis of Scale Variations of Local Features for Accurate Classification of Emphysema Images", Proc. of 8th Intnl. Conf. on Biomedical Engineering and Informatics – BMEI15, Shenyang, 14-16 Oct 2015, pp. 6-13.
R. Mukundan, "Parallel Implementation of the Box Counting Algorithm in OpenCL", Fractals, Vol. 23, No. 2 (2015).
M. Ibrahim, R. Mukundan, "Cascaded techniques for improving emphysema classification in computed tomography images", Artificial Intelligence Research, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2015, pp. 112-118.
Musibau Ibrahim, R. Mukundan, "Multifractal Techniques for Emphysema Classification in Lung Tissue Images", Proc. Intl. Conf. on Future Bioengineering, ICFB-2014, Dec 13-14 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, IPCBEE-Vol. 78, pp. 115-119.
Huidong Bai, Gun Lee, R. Mukundan, Mark Billinghurst, "3D Gesture Interaction for Handheld Augmented Reality", Proc. Symposium on Mobile Graphics and Interactive Applications, SIGGRAPH-Asia, Dec 3-6 2014, Shenzhen, China.
Philip Buchanan, R Mukundan and Michael Doggett, "Automatic Single-View Character Model Reconstruction", Proc. Intl. Symposium on Sketch Based Interfaces and Modeling SBIM 2013, 19-20 July 2013, Anaheim, California, pp. 5-14.
Bo Li, R. Mukundan, "A Comparative Analysis of Spatial Partitioning Methods for Large-Scale, Real-time Crowd Simulation", Proc. 21st Intl. Conf. in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision WSCG-2013, Prague, Czech Republic, 24-27 June 2013, pp. 104-111.
R. Mukundan, Bo Li, "Extended Oriented Bounding Boxes for Geometry and Motion Representation", Proc. Image and Vision Computing New Zealand IVCNZ-2012, Dunedin, New Zealand, 26-28 Nov 2012, pp. 121-125.
Philip Buchanan, Michael Dogget, R. Mukundan, "Structural Vectorization of Raster Images", Proc. Image and Vision Computing New Zealand IVCNZ-2012, Dunedin, New Zealand, 26-28 Nov 2012, pp. 319-324.
Philip Buchanan, Michael Dogget, "Transferring Characteristic Proportions to Modify the Artistic Style of Cartoons", Proc. Computer Graphics International, Bournemouth, UK, 12-15 June 2012.
Huaqing Chen, R. Mukundan, Anthony Butler, "Automatic Lung Segmentation in HRCT Images", Proc. Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ-2011), Auckland, Dec 2011, pp. 293-298.
Chiang Tay, R. Mukundan, Daniel Racoceanu, "Multifractal Analysis of Histopathological Tissue Images", Proc. Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ-2011), Auckland, Dec 2011, pp. 80-85.
Oliver Cardwell, Mukundan, R, "Visualization and Analysis of Inverse Kinematics Algorithms Using Performance Metric Maps", Proc. 19th Intnl. Conf on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision WSCG 2011, Univ. of West Bohemia, Czech Republic, 31Jan-3Feb 2011, pp.63-168.
R. Mukundan, Anna Hemsley "Tissue Image Classification Using Multifractal Spectra", The International Journal of Multimedia Data Engineering & Management, IGI Publishing, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 61-74.
Mohammad Obaid, Mukundan, R., Billinghurst, M., Pelachaud, C. "Expressive MPEG-4 Facial Animation Using Quadratic Deformation Models", Proc. Intnl. Conference on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualisation, 9-11 August 2010, Sydney, Australia, pp. 9-14.
Mohammad Obaid, Mukundan, R., Billinghurst, M., "Generating and Rendering Expressive Caricatures", ACM SIGGRAPH, 25-29 July 2010, Los Angeles, USA.
Anna Hemsley, R. Mukundan, "Multifractal Measures for Tissue Image Classification and Retrieval", Proc. of 11th IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, IEEE-ISM San Diego, California, 14-16 Dec 2009, pp. 618-623.
Mohammad Obaid et.al., "A Quadratic Deformation Model for Facial Expression Recognition", Proc. Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications, 1-3 Dec 2009, Melbourne, Australia.
C. Tay, M. Obaid, R. Mukundan, A, Bainbridge, "Facial Expressions Using A Quadratic Deformation Model: Analysis and Synthesis", Proc. Image and Vision Computing IVCNZ 09, 23-25 Nov 2009, Wellington, New Zealand.
Mohammad Obaidet.al., "Facial caricautre generation using a quadratic deformation model", Proc. Intnl. Conf. on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technologies ACE 2009, Athens, Greece, 29-31 Oct 2009.
R. Mukundan, "A Comparative Analysis of Radial-Tchebichef Moments and Zernike Moments", Proc. British Machine Vision Conference, 7-10 Sep 2009, London.
M.Obaid, R.Mukundan, M.Billinghurst, M.Sagar "Facial Expression Representation Using A Quadratic Deformation Model", Proc. Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization, 11-14 Aug 2009, Tianjin, China.
R. Mukundan, "A Robust Inverse Kinematics Algorithm for Animating a Joint Chain", International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology (Inderscience Publishers Ltd.), Vol. 34, No. 4, 2009, pp. 303-308.
R. Mukundan, "Fast Computation of Geometric Moments and Invariants Using Schlick's Approximation", Intl. Jnl. of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (World Scientific Publishing), Vol. 22, No. 7, Nov 2008, pp. 1363-1377.
J. Gu, R. Mukundan, M. Billinghurst, "Developing Mobile Phone AR Applications Using J2ME", Proc. Image and Vision Computing IVCNZ 08, 26-28 Nov 2008, Lincoln University, New Zealand, pp. 231-236.
R. Mukundan, "A Fast Inverse Kinematics Solution for an n-link Joint Chain", Proc. International Conf. on Info. Tech. Applications (ICITA-08), 22-26 June 2008, Cairns, Australia, pp. 349-354.
R. Mukundan, C. Han, "A Fast Algorithm for Painterly Rendering on Mobile Devices", Proc. Conf. on Theory and Practice in Computer Graphics TPCG-2008, 9-11 June 2008, University of Manchester, pp. 67-74.
K.Nakagaki, R. Mukundan, "A Fast 4x4 Forward Discrete Tchebichef Transform Algorithm", IEEE Signal Processing Letters , Vol. 14, No. 10, Oct 2007, pp 684-687.
R. Muller-Cajar, R. Mukundan, "Triangualation - A New Algorithm for Inverse Kinematics", Proc. Image and Vision Computing IVCNZ 07, 5-7 Dec 2007, Waikato, New Zealand, pp. 181-186.
R. Mukundan, "A New Set of Normalized Geometric Moments Based on Schlick's Approximation", Proc. of 3rd Intnl. Symposium on Visual Computing ISVC 07, 26-28 Nov 2007, Lake Tahoe, California: Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), Vol. 4842 (2007), pp. 205-213.
R. Mukundan, "Transform Coding Using Discrete Tchebichef Polynomials", Proc. Intnl. Conf. on Visualization Imaging and Image Processing VIIP 2006, 28-30 Aug 2006, Palma Mallorca, Spain, pp 270-275.
O. Batchelor, R. Mukundan, R. Green, "Incremental Voxel Colouring by Ray Traversal", Proc. of Intnl. Conf. on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization CGIV-06, 25-28 July 2006, Sydney,(IEEE Computer Society) pp 396-401.
M. Obaid, R. Mukundan, T. Bell, "Enhancement of Moment Based Painterly Rendering Using Connected Components", Proc. of Intnl. Conf. on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization CGIV-06, 25-28 July 2006, Sydney,(IEEE Computer Society) pp 378-383.
J. Shin, M. Haller, R. Mukundan, "A Stylized Cartoon Hair Renderer", Proc. of ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology - ACE 2006, 14-16 June, Hollywood, USA. ACM Press.
- May 2017: Huidong Bai successfully completed the oral examination and qualified for the award of PhD.
- Aug 2017: Musibau Ibrahim successfully qualified for the award of PhD.
Tieta Putri, "Artistic Style Characterization of Vincent Van Gogh’s Paintings using Extracted Features from Visible Brush Strokes", ICPRAM-2017, Porto: Portugal, 24-26 Feb 2017, pp. 378-385.
- Prerna Singh, "Synthetic Models of Ultrasound Image Formation for Speckle Noise Simulation and Analysis", ICSigSys-2017, Bali: Indonesia, 16-18 May 2017.
- Huyuan Shangguan, "Video Based Motion Capture in Environments with Non-Stationary Background", ICSigSys-2017, Bali: Indonesia, 16-18 May 2017.
- Ori Ganoni, "A Framework for Visually Realistic Multi-robot Simulation in Natural Environments", WSCG-2017, Plzen: Czech Republic, 29 May - 2 June 2017.
- Prerna Singh, "Modelling, Speckle Simulation and Quality Evaluation of Synthetic Ultrasound Images", MIUA-2017, University of Edinburgh: UK, 11-13 July 2017.
- Mukundan, R, "A Robust Algorithm for Automated HER2 Scoring in Breast Cancer Histology Slides Using Characteristic Curves", MIUA-2017, University of Edinburgh: UK, 11-13 July 2017.
- Mukundan, R, "Contour Based High Resolution 3D Mesh Construction Using HRCT and MRI Stacks.", IJMDEM Journal, IGI Global, USA, Vol. 8, 2017.
- Ori Ganoni, "A Multi Sensory Approach Using Error Bounds for Improved Visual Odometry", Image and Vision Computing NZ Conference, IVCNZ-2017 Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Tieta Putri, "Artistic Style Characterization and Brush Stroke Modelling for Non-Photorealistic Rendering", Image and Vision Computing NZ Conference, IVCNZ-2017 Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Huyuan Shangguan, "3D Video-based Motion Capture using Convolutional Neural Networks", Image and Vision Computing NZ Conference, IVCNZ-2017 Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Prerna Singh, "Quality Analysis Of Synthetic Ultrasound Images Using Co-Occurrence Texture Statistics", Image and Vision Computing NZ Conference, IVCNZ-2017 Christchurch, New Zealand.
- The Health Research Society of Canterbury (HRSC) Poster Evening, 10-Aug-2017, 3rd Prize: Prerna Singh, "Modelling, Speckle Simulation and Quality Evaluation of Synthetic Ultrasound Images"
- CSSE Postgraduate Conference 08-Sep-2017, 2nd Prize, Ph.D Presentations: Ori Ganoni, "Using Game Engines for Scientific Simulations"
Find research groups
Search our Research database
News, events and seminars
Digital Technologies has just been added to the New Zealand curriculum. Also bewilderingly referred to as computing, ...
Imagine Cup is Microsoft’s premier international competition for young developers. We congratulate UC student, Zach ...