Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests are applications of discrete mathematics (combinatorics, graph theory) and probability theory to contemporary problems in biology.
- Francis A., Semple C. and Steel M. (2018) New characterisations of tree-based networks and proximity measures. Advances in Applied Mathematics 93: 93-107. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aam.2017.08.003.
- Hordijk W., Steel M. and Dittrich P. (2018) Autocatalytic sets and chemical organizations: Modeling self-sustaining reaction networks at the origin of life. New Journal of Physics 20(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/aa9fcd.
- Huber KT., Moulton V. and Steel M. (2018) Phylogenetic Flexibility via Hall-Type Inequalities and Submodularity. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology : 1-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11538-018-0419-1.
- Steel M. and Kauffman S. (2018) A note on random catalytic branching processes. Journal of Theoretical Biology 437: 222-224. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtbi.2017.10.024.
- Steel M., Pourfaraj V., Chaudhary A. and Mooers A. (2018) Evolutionary isolation and phylogenetic diversity loss under random extinction events. Journal of Theoretical Biology 438: 151-155. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtbi.2017.11.005.