Qualifications & Memberships
My main research and supervision areas are:DESIGN, ANALYSIS AND MANUFACTURING: lean, minimisation of waste, plant simulation, production engineering, environmental issues, life cycle assessment, engineering design, commissioning.INDUSTRIAL R&D: Specific research in industrial areas as the need arises. Examples are manufacture of wire fencing, internal combustion engine, food processing plant, solar desalination. BOBBIN FRICTION STIR WELDING: process optimisation, defect formation mechanisms, internal flow.ENGINEERING PROFESSION: engineering management, ethics, communication, graduate attributes, didactic implications. ENGINEERING SAFETY: design for safety, health & safety, risk, reliability engineering, human error. BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING: clinical engineering, musculoskeletal biomechanics, medical devices. SYSTEMS ENGINEERING: requirements analysis, engineering project management, V processes, commissioning.FOUNDATIONAL MECHANICS: physics theory development at the sub-particle level (no supervision offered). See list of publications for examples of outputs. Potential postgraduate students - see the topics below or suggest your own in related areas.
- Ainul Azyan ZH., Pulakanam V. and Pons D. (2017) Success factors and barriers to implementing lean in the printing industry: A case study and theoretical framework. Integrated Manufacturing Systems 28(4): 458-484. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JMTM-05-2016-0067.
- Allison SJ., Docherty PD., Pons D. and Chase JG. (2017) A Bootstrap Approach for Predicting Methoxyflurane Occupational Exposure in Paramedicine. IFAC-PapersOnLine 50(1): 6666-6671. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2017.08.1158.
- Liu D. and Pons DJ. (2017) Development of a unified creep-fatigue equation including heat treatment. Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ffe.12670.
- Liu D. and Pons DJ. (2017) Physical-Mechanism exploration of the low-Cycle unified creep-Fatigue formulation. Metals 7(9) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/met7090379.
- Liu D., Pons DJ. and Wong EH. (2017) Creep-integrated fatigue equation for metals. International Journal of Fatigue 98: 167-175. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2016.11.030.