Qualifications & Memberships
Research is in the area of process control for biological nutrient removal systems, removal of nitrates from groundwater and aerobic denitrification. Specific interests are:-Biological nutrient (nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P)) removal from wastewaters has received increasing attention in the last few decades. Research has been undertaken in the general area of optimization of these types of plants and a better understanding of the biological mechanisms involved. Examples of recent research topics/areas: Automated control of sequencing batch reactor BNR plants, modelling of Oxidation-Reduction Potential behaviour in BNR Plants, aerobic denitrification in wastewater treatment systems. Removal of nitrates from groundwater, use of rock filters for nutrient removal in oxidation ponds and wetlands for grey water treatment. -Volatile Fatty Acids (VFAs) are used in BNR plants as efficient sources of carbon for nitrate and phosphorus removal. Recent research has focussed on the environmental and operational parameters important for maximizing the production of VFAs from sludges. In addition, research on the use of VFAs in the denitrification process and the use of VFAs as a co-substrate in the biodegradation of pesticides is being conducted.
- Chouhan D., Bello-Mendoza R. and Wareham DG. (2017) MCPA biodegradation in an anoxic sequencing batch reactor (SBR). International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 14(2): 365-374. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13762-016-1152-7.
- Chouhan D., Bello-Mendoza R. and Wareham DG. (2016) Biodegradation of MCPA and nitrate removal in an anoxic SBR. Munich, Germany: 18th EWA International Symposium "Challenges Arising from Micro-Pollutants in Wastewater, Water and Environment", 1-2 Jun 2016. : 70-78.
- Chouhan D., Bello-Mendoza R. and Wareham DG. (2015) MCPA Degradation by Nitrate Reducing Bacteria. Singapore: Micropol & Ecohazards Conference 2015, 22-25 Nov 2015
- Sparchez E., Elefsiniotis P., Wareham DG. and Fongsatitkul P. (2015) Co-treatment of domestic and dairy wastewater in an activated sludge system. Environmental Technology 36(6): 715-721. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2014.960008.
- Wells M., Wareham DG. and Broady P. (2015) The effect of loess addition on the settling ability of activated sludge. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A: Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering 50(7): 728-734. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10934529.2015.1011972.