Qualifications & Memberships
I am a trained wood scientist with a focus on molecular aspects of plant cell walls. My research includes fundamental and applied projects.At the fundamental end I am working on a better understanding of the supramolecular architecture of plant cell walls in particular the structure of cellulose fibrils and how this structure determines macroscopic wood properties. This research involves specialised IR and NMR spectroscopy as well as various forms of diffraction.Most of my current external research funding is for applied research on wood quality attracting funding from several sources. Particularly exciting is my involvement as science team leader of the NZDFI, which envisages New Zealand as a world-leader in breeding ground-durable eucalypts, and to be home to a valuable sustainable hardwood industry based on eucalypt forests, by 2050. As a biomaterial, wood is highly variable. This variability poses significant problems to the wood processing industry. My work is trying to reduce the variability of wood and by that gaining efficiency in the wood processing industry. The major factor restricting the incorporation of wood properties into tree breeding programmes is the lack of fast but robust analytical techniques. Therefore development of such assessments is a key part of the research, many of which are only available in this field at our world-leading NZ School of Forestry.
- Nursulantov N., Altaner CM. and Heffernan WJB. (2017) Effect of temperature on electrical conductivity of green sapwood of Pinus radiata (radiata pine). Wood Science and Technology 51(4): 795-809. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00226-017-0917-6.
- Altaner CM. and Saake B. (2016) Quantification of the chemical composition of lignocellulosics by solution 1H NMR spectroscopy of acid hydrolysates. Cellulose 23(1): 1003-1010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10570-015-0841-6.
- Davies NT., Altaner CM. and Apiolaza LA. (2016) Elastic constants of green Pinus radiata wood. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 46(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40490-016-0075-x.
- Schroeder P. and Altaner CM. (2016) Propagation - a bottleneck in tree breeding programmes? New Zealand Tree Grower November: 34-36.
- Altaner C. (2015) Developing a quality eucalypt resource at seedling stage. Australian Forest Grower 37(4): 33/35.