- Familiarise yourself with the information in this site telling you what to do and what to expect.
- Enter the emergency on campus contact phone number into your cell phone (0800 823 637). If you have access to an internal phone make sure the on campus emergency phone number is visible for users (see contacts page for details).
- Check the emergency procedures, either the PDF files on the emergency procedures page, or 'flip charts' in all departments and service units. It's best to know beforehand what to do in an emergency.
- Ensure your Personal Emergency Kit is stocked with the necessary items you may need.
- Check the home page of this website (UC Emergency) for up to date information.
If internet access is disrupted, information will be conveyed to staff and students via other sources, including notice boards, security staff and runners.
As a responsible and safe employer, the University is committed to ensuring we are well prepared to respond quickly and appropriately in an emergency situation.
Preparing for/experiencing an emergency/disaster
- Christchurch City Council Civil Defence website
- How to be prepared at work (Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management website)
- Canterbury Civil Defense Emergency Management website
- Get ready, get through website
- 'Academic Aftershocks' - What really happens to a university in an earthquakeFighting the fluWhat really happens to a University after an earthquake