Settling In/Te Mahi Whakatau
Visit and spend some time at the Centre with your child before the starting date on at least 3 occasions.
During this time your child will spend some time at the Centre without you, as part of the settling in procedure (approximately ½ hour to an hour).
On your child’s start date and for approximately 2 weeks after, allow extra time to help your child settle in at the start of the day. Your child’s key teacher (or primary caregiver) will discuss any individual needs with you.
Here are some suggestions for making separation easier:
- When leaving your child try to spend some time playing with her/him before you go. Give your child some time to adjust to the Centre.
- In the Over 2 areas all teachers care for all children. Ask a teacher anything you want to know about how your child has settled.
- You may bring a familiar toy or cuddly which they may need for security.
- Please DON’T just disappear. Let your child know you are going and will be back. Be positive, say “goodbye” and leave.
- Feel free to ring us if you are concerned about how your child has settled.
- You are welcome in our Centres at any time, you may join in but please let the teachers deal with any conflict between children and with any care giving routines such as toileting and first-aid.
General Information/ Panui
Things to be aware of and what to bring to the Centre;
- Notebook (under 2s) – for daily information and comments
- Photo of your child – for birthday display (ECLC)
- Information for teachers on your child’s needs, interests and abilities (a sheet is provided in the enrolment pack), and a personalised cover sheet for your child’s learning journal/ profile book
- Nappies – please provide and check regularly to ensure your child has enough.
- Clothes – ensure clothes are named and that your child has a complete set of extra clothes. Provide a warm hat in winter, a sunhat in summer and over-trousers for crawling babies when playing outside. We provide suncream but if your child requires a specific brand you will need to supply this.
- Food/Kai –
- Provide a named drinking cup for water (under 2s)
- Provide a named drink bottle for water (over 2s)
- For infants drinking from bottles ensure that bottles are made up and named before putting them in the fridge
- Ensure that all perishable food is put in the fridge or fridge container on arrival. Everything else stays in the lunch box on shelves or trolley
- Provide enough food for child’s needs. Ask the teachers if you are unsure
- Label all containers
- For your child’s safety children are not allowed in the kitchen area of the Centres at any time
- Medication/ Rongoā - If you require us to administer medicines to your child please indicate in the medicine book. Hand the medicine to a teacher so that they can put it in a secure place. Remember to pick up the medicine at the end of the day. If a child becomes unwell at the Centre and cannot participate in the programme we will call the family to collect their child. Any child who experiences vomiting or diarrhoea whilst at the Centre will be sent home and cannot return until 48 hours after the last bout of vomiting or diarrhoea. This 48 hour rule applies if the child experiences these illnesses at home as well.
- Bedding – you will need to provide an under blanket and a top blanket (ECLC). The Centre provides sheets which are laundered weekly. We will send bedding home to be washed each long weekend. Your child is welcome to bring a special blanket for sleep if needed.
- On Arrival/ ā te wā tae mai – Upon arrival each day please sign the attendance form at the entrance/ foyer. The attendance form is a requirement of the Ministry of Education for the purpose of funding and for accurate information in times of emergency. Tell a teacher when you are ready to leave so that they can support your child to settle into their day at the Centre.
NUT FREE ZONE – the ECLC Under 2s unit is a nut-free zone. This includes spreads such as peanut butter and Nutella. Please save these for home.