Frequently Asked Questions - Disability Resource Service - University of Canterbury - New Zealand
pink text dark pink text tan text brown text light green text dark green text light blue text dark blue text grey text purple text yellow text black text pink text dark pink text tan text brown text light green text dark green text light blue text dark blue text grey text purple text yellow text black text Increase text sizet Decrease text size Reset text size and colour and background colour

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Who do I contact if I cannot read the material the Lecturers are displaying in my lectures?

    Check if the PowerPoint slides are available on Learn.  If this is not the case in your course then contact the Lecturer.

  2. I know I'm going to have problems with mobility in my labs. Who can assist me with completing parts of the assessment that I am having difficulty with due to my restricted mobility?

    Contact the Disability Resource Service, and if you are eligible we will endeavour to find someone qualified to assist you in your laboratory work.

  3. This is my first time away from home and not living with my parents. I know I am going to need a carer to help me with my personal needs, where do I find one and who can I apply to for funding?

    Personal care is funded through Needs Assessment Services and ACC. You may like to look at some of the organisations on the links page of this website.

  4. Is there another way of accessing the Central Library without using the stairs?

    Access to the Central Library for students who use wheelchairs or have other mobility needs is provided on Level 1 through automatic opening doors. This entrance gives users access to a glass lift which will transport them to Level 2, the main floor of the library building (and Central Library).

  5. I don't want any special attention by Lecturers and I don't want the Lecturer to know that I am a student with a disability but it is really hard because I need their help. Will they understand and treat me the same as any other student?

    A Disability Liaison Person has been appointed in each department.  If you do not feel comfortable approaching the Lecturer or Course Co-ordinator then you may like to see the Disability Liaison Person in that department.

  6. I have been managing ok in my lectures, but I can't write for long periods of time. In exams I will be required to write more, for a longer period of time. This may cause me pain. Can I get extra time or someone else to write for me during my exams?

    Yes. You will need to register with our service. Your particular support needs will be discussed and a plan devised with your Advisor. However, you may like to take other measures such as ensuring you take micropauses and regular breaks during your study and during the examination.

  7. I am worried that getting supports from Disability Resource Service while I am studying will affect my career prospects...

    The supports you receive from our service will not appear on your external transcript.
    +64 3 369 3334 or ext 93334
  • Physical Address
    General Enquiries to Room 214
    Level 2 
    Puaka-James Hight Building
    University of Canterbury
  • Postal Address
    Disability Resource Service
    University of Canterbury
    Private Bag 4800
    New Zealand