Additional Course Outline Information
Goal of the Course
The goal of this course is to provide foundation knowledge of Electricity and Magnetism, and Modern Physics for students advancing in physical sciences and engineering. Students will obtain basic competency in analysing and solving physical problems in these areas. They will also obtain basic physics laboratory skills and data techniques.
• Have developed and be able to demonstrate basic scientific competency to solve appropriate physics problems in the concepts of the course
• Have developed and be able to demonstrate basic physics laboratory skills
• Have developed and be able to demonstrate data recording and analysis associated with physics laboratories
• Have developed and be able to demonstrate writing and associated communication skills.
Summary of the Course Content
The topics covered in this course are:
• Review of electrostatics, electric field, potential, capacitance
• Electric currents, resistance, DC circuits
• Magnetic fields, induction,
• Simple AC circuits
• Applications of E&M, basic electronic components, introduction to digital
• Modern physics, quantum and atomic physics, nuclear and particle physics.
• The physics of machines and technology of modern society.