Additional Course Outline Information
Goal of the Course
Students will understand how geological hazards operate at the process level, and how geohazard behaviour over spatial and temporal time-scales influences how hazards are assessed and mitigated.
Summary of the Course Content
The topics coved by this course are:
• Origins of interplate and intraplate stress fields
• How faults make earthquakes
• How rocks fragment and erode
• How rivers incise, transport sediment, and flood
• How landslides and other mass wasting processes are initiated and behave
• Hazards of volcanic eruptions: lava flows, pyroclastic density currents, lahars, ash fall and volcanic gas
• Feedbacks amongst geological hazards
• Risk assessment and mitigation of geological hazards.