Course Coordinator / Lecturer
and Jonathan Fannin
Mid tern test
1. Submission of homeworks: These should be put into the box marked “ENCI353” on the 2nd floor by 9am of the deadline given on the homework handout. Required homework coversheets are available on LHS of the Computer Suite on 2nd floor of engineering building. (Note that lab reports are completed during the lab session on the PCs in the geomechanics lab).
2. Submission deadlines: Deadlines are, in general, strict. Failure to hand in on time will result in ½ marks or no marks being given. However, the lecturer may at her/his discretion allow late submission of assignments if a valid reason is given.
3. Homeworks are due: 6th August, 11th September, 8th October.
4. Mid year test: This will be held on Friday 17th August (i.e. last day before mid-term break). Location TBC.
5. Aegrotat eligibility: “Aegrotat provisions are intended to assist students who have covered the work of a course but have been prevented by illness or other critical circumstance from demonstrating their mastery of the material or skills at the time of assessment” [UC Calendar]. As a general guideline, a student may only apply for an aegrotat for the exam if they have sat the mid-semester test and submitted at least 60% of the coursework (labs and homeworks).
Parry, R. H. G;
Mohr circles, stress paths, and geotechnics;
Spon Press, 2003.
Soil mechanics : concepts and applications;
Spon Press, 2004.
Robert D. Holtz, William D. Kovacs, Thomas C. Sheahan;
An introduction to geotechnical engineering;