No textbooks are required, but see the following book for additional information:
• Carol Critchlow and David Eck; Foundations of Computation; version 2.3.1, 2011, available here
More advanced or comprehensive books are:
• Michael Sipser; Introduction to the Theory of Computation; third edition, Cengage Learning, 2013
• John Hopcroft, Rajeev Motwani and Jeffrey Ullman; Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation; Pearson, 2006
• Dexter Kozen; Automata and Computability; Springer, 1997
• Reinhard Wilhelm and Dieter Maurer; Compiler Design; Addison-Wesley, 1995
• Niklaus Wirth; Compiler Construction; Addison-Wesley, 1996
• Alfred Aho, Monica Lam, Ravi Sethi and Jeffrey Ullman; Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools; second edition, Pearson, 2007
There are several important documents available online about departmental regulations, policies and guidelines at the following site. We expect all students to be familiar with these.
Notices about this class will be posted to the class forum in the Learn system.
COSC students will also be made members of a class called “CSSE Notices”, where general notices will be posted that apply to all classes (such as information about building access or job opportunities).
* Fees include New Zealand GST and do not include any programme level discount or additional course related expenses.