Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute
The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute aims to lead the investment profession globally by promoting the highest standards of ethics, education, and professional excellence. The CFA designation is the most respected and recognised investment management credential in the world.
About the CFA Institute University Recognition Program
The University of Canterbury (UC)’s Bachelor of Commerce major in Finance has been acknowledged as incorporating at least 70 percent of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) and as placing emphasis on the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice within the program. The programme positions students to obtain the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation, which has become the most respected and recognised investment credential in the world.
The Bachelor of Commerce degree, majoring in Finance, provides students with a strong foundation in corporate finance, financial markets and institutions, and investment analysis. The program covers a wide variety of challenging topics included in the CFA Exam Level I, Level II and Level III curricula. Students are well prepared and encouraged to sit for the CFA exam Level I by the time they graduate from UC. Since 2011, most UC-sponsored students passed the CFA Exam Level I on the first try.
Entry into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program signals to potential students, employers, and the marketplace that the University of Canterbury curriculum is closely tied to professional practice and is well-suited to preparing students to sit for the CFA examinations. Through participation in this programme, the Department of Economics and Finance at the University of Canterbury is eligible to award a limited number of scholarships to UC students to take the CFA exam in June and December each year. A call for scholarship applications to take the CFA exam Level I will be announced twice a year. Students will need to prepare for the exam before applying for a scholarship and before a decision can be made. For further information about the CFA exams, please visit the website.
Students with a strong background in Economic, Finance and Accounting are also welcomed to apply to represent UC at the CFAI Research Challenge. For further information about the annual competition, please contact Dr Huong Dieu Dang, CFA.
Mapping guide for CFA Exam Level 1 topics
The following mapping guide includes the CFA Exam Level I topics covered within the Bachelor of Commerce major in Finance program.
- Market Forces of Supply and Demand: ECON104, ECON105
- The Firm and Industry Organization: ECON104, ECON105
- Measuring National Income and Growth: ECON104, ECON105
- Business Cycles: ECON104, ECON105
- The Monetary System: ECON104, ECON105
- Inflation: ECON104, ECON105
- International Trade and Capital Flows: FINC344
- Currency Exchange Rates: FINC344
- Monetary and Fiscal Policy: ECON105
- Types of Equity Securities and their Characteristics: FINC311
- Equity Markets: Characteristics, Institutions, and Benchmarks: FINC203, FINC311
- Fundamental Analysis (Sector, Industry, Company) and the Valuation of Individual Equity Securities: FINC311
- Equity Market Valuation and Return Analysis: FINC311
- Special Applications of Fundamental Analysis (Residual Earnings): FINC311, FINC302
- Types of Fixed Income Securities and their Characteristics: FINC201, FINC203, FINC316
- Fixed Income Markets: Characteristics, Institutions, and Benchmarks: FINC203, FINC316
- Fixed Income Valuation (Sector, Industry, Company) and Return Analysis: FINC306
- Term Structure Determination and Yield Spreads: FINC203, FINC316, FINC312
- Analysis of Interest Rate Risk: FINC203, FINC316
- Analysis of Credit Risk: FINC316
- Types of Derivative Instruments and their Characteristics: FINC312
- Forward Markets and Instruments: FINC203, FINC312
- Futures Markets and Instruments: FINC203, FINC312
- Options Markets and Instruments: FINC203, FINC312
- Swaps Markets and Instruments: FINC203, FINC312
- Credit Derivatives Markets and Instruments: FINC316, FINC312
CFA Examinations and Scholarships
In each U.S. academic year the Department of Economics and Finance can nominate five students for the Awareness Scholarships to take the CFA Level 1 exam in either December or June the following year. The next round of scholarhips will be for the June 2018 exam Level 1.
What is involved?
If you plan to take the exam level 1 in June 2018 and would like to apply for the registration fee waiver scholarship you should email a one-page cover letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: CFA exam scholarship application) by 4pm, 20 January 2018. Late submissions will not be considered.
Your cover letter should address the following two questions:
- How well have you prepared for the exam? You may include a specific study plan.
- How would the scholarship and the exam help you achieve your professional goals?
You may include a one-page study plan at the end of your application. Please combine your documents in one (and only one) pdf file. If you submit more than one file, only the first one will be considered.
- New incoming MAFE students should not take the exam level 1 in June due to the workload in semester 1 2018. They should take the exam in June 2019 instead. The call for scholarship applications for December 2018's exam level 1 will be circulated in August 2018.
- The CFAI will not process refund requests for scholarship recipients who have registered for the CFA exams. Rather than registering early, students wishing to sit for the CFA exams should buy the curriculum, then wait for your scholarship confirmation before registering. You will automatically receive credit for the curriculum when you register, and you will only be charged the registration fee applicable at the time you applied for your scholarship if you do not get the scholarship and return to register at a later date.
For information about the scholarships visit http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/scholarships/Pages/awareness_scholarships.aspx
For information about the CFA exam visit http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/courseofstudy/Pages/index.aspx