Advanced English for Postgraduate Study (BRDG003)
If you plan to study at postgraduate level you will undertake this course in the second half of the programme. You will learn all aspects of language necessary for postgraduate university life and academic study at an advanced level. This will include research, presentation and tutorial skills, project work (team and individual), and proposal, report and thesis writing in your future area of study.
Learning OutcomesOn successful completion of Advanced English for Postgraduate Study, you will be able to:
- Write researched academic essays of 1500-2000 words;
- Make appropriate use of relevant reference material from library resources;
- Understand lectures and take accurate notes;
- Participate in tutorial discussions and workshops, and deliver seminars;
- Read and write under exam conditions.
AssessmentAssessment of this course takes the following forms:
- Summary of an academic article;
- Lecture assignment in which students must attend and take notes at least two university lectures;
- 1500-2000 word essay on a subject related to your chosen field of research;
- 15-20 minute seminar;
- Final examination.