Core Academic Skills (BRDG 001)
This course can be taken as part of the above Certificate, the Certificate in English for University Study, or the Certificate of Proficiency Preparatory. In the case of the latter two certificates, successful completion of this course can meet the English entry criteria for undergraduate degrees. This course will not be offered after June 2013. An equivalent English Language course will be offered by the University’s English language provider, CCEL. See http://www.ccel.co.nz/english-for-academic-purposes.php for more details.
All students will undertake this course in the first half of the programme. During this course you will develop core English language skills in addition to academic reading, writing, speaking, listening and tertiary study skills. You will also be introduced to studying and living in the New Zealand context.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Write academic essays in appropriate academic style;
- Make use of relevant reference material in academic writing;
- Understand lectures and take accurate notes;
- Participate in tutorial discussions, workshops and seminars;
- Read and write under exam conditions.
AssessmentAssessment of this course takes the following forms:
- Language test;
- Summary assignment;
- Listening task;
- 750 word essay incorporating a number of sources;
- Final exam.