My vocation and avocation is to increase our understanding of the political, social and economic world through research and teaching.
Qualifications & Memberships
Alex Tan is Professor of Political Science and International Relations, Honorary Professor of the NZ Defence Force Command and Staff College, Associate Director of the NZ Contemporary China Research Centre (Wellington), non-resident Senior Fellow of the University of Nottingham China Policy Institute (UK), Fellow of the Southern Methodist University John G. Tower Center for Political Studies (Dallas, USA), and University Chair Professor of Political Science (adjunct) at National Chengchi University (Taiwan). He is recipient of the 2015 College of Arts Teaching Excellence Award and the 2014 UCSA University and College of Arts Lecturer of the Year Awards. He received his PhD from Texas A&M University, MA (Economics) from University of California-Santa Barbara, and AB (Economics) from the Ateneo de Manila. Before joining UC, he was tenured associate professor at the University of North Texas, worked as a banker with HSBC and researcher at Taiwan Institute of Economic Research. He held visiting academic appointments in the USA, Germany, Japan, and Taiwan and represented NZ in Track II security and economic dialogues. Alex is editorial board member of several top international political science journals such as American Political Science Review, Electoral Studies, Political Science, Journal of Asian Security and International Affairs. He has published extensively in the areas of political parties and elections, political economy, Asian politics and international relations.
- Clark C. and Tan AC. (2011) Taiwan's Political Economy: Meeting Challenges, Pursuing Progress. Boulder: Lynne Reinner. 203pp-203pp.
- Tan AC. (2000) Members, Organization and Performance: An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Party Membership Size. Aldershot: Ashgate. 99.
- Batto NF., Huang C., Tan AC. and Cox G. (Ed.) (2016) Mixed-Member Electoral Systems in Constitutional Context. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. 1-336. http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/mpub.8084028 or https://www.press.umich.edu/.
- Tan AC. (Ed.) (2016) Maritime Disputes in the South China Sea and the East China Sea. Special issue of the Journal of Asian Security and International Affairs, 3 (2). New Delhi: Sage Publications Ltd. 131. | http://aia.sagepub.com/content/3/2.toc.
- Tan AC. and Khoo N. (Ed.) (2015) Journal of Asian Security and International Affairs, 2(2). Special Issue: Reconceptualizing Asian International Relations. New Delhi: Sage Publications Ltd. 92pp. | http://aia.sagepub.com/content/2/2.toc.