Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include the history of medicine, health, civil and criminal law and disability; history of mission, especially medical missionaries; history of welfare, charity, and philanthropy. Also, Indian history, particularly early colonial South India and early colonial state formation, and Pacific history, particularly history of health and medicine.
- Buckingham J. (2008) Leprosy in Colonial South India: Medicine and Confinement [eBook]. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 248pp-248pp. http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/9781403932730.
- Buckingham J. (2002) Leprosy in Colonial South India: Medicine and Confinement. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 236pp.
- Buckingham J. (2017) Indenture and the Indian experience of leprosy on Makogai Island, Fiji. Journal of Pacific History 52(3): 325-342. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00223344.2017.1371107.
- Luker V. and Buckingham J. (2017) Histories of Leprosy: subjectivities, community, and Pacific worlds. Leprosy in the Pacific: Special Issue Journal of Pacific History TBC
- Buckingham J. (2014) Leprosy, Philanthropy and Social Capital in New Zealand/Pacific Relations 1950-60s. Journal of New Zealand and Pacific Studies 2(1): 39-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.1386/nzps.2.1.39_1.
On leave in Semester 1, 2017