Homestay/Private Board - Domestic Students
Please contact Leanne Mora directly:
Tel: +64 3 360 2394
Fax: +64 3 360 2395
Homestay/Private Board - International Students
Living in a homestay means you live with a New Zealand family in their home and are treated as one of the family.
Homestays are available throughout Christchurch in a variety of homes, offering a wide range of living situations, from families with children to single people living by themselves. Due to current demand for accommodation, students should expect to use a bike or bus to travel to campus (Christchurch is very flat and has an excellent Metro bus service).
This type of accommodation is suitable for individual students and sometimes couples, not students with families. International students under the age of 18 years are recommended to apply for homestay accommodation.
- All applications for homestay accommodation must be received at least two weeks before arrival.
- Homestay is for a minimum of 8 weeks' accommodation and must be paid prior to arrival unless other arrangements have been made.
The weekly fee of NZ$250 provides you with:
- A fully furnished room (including desk, chair, good lighting, storage, bed and adequate bedding, and heating).
- Three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Bathroom and laundry facilities
- Power and telephone rental (toll calls and some internet charges are extra depending on usage).
There is also an initial placement fee of NZ$330. This fee covers the following:
- Administration and selection of host family prior to arrival.
- Emails or faxes to agent or student prior to arrival.
- Arranging Health and Travel Insurance if requested.
- Arranging airport pick-up and transport to host family upon arrival.
- Assisting the student to arrange a bank account, phone card, bus passes etc at a cost to the student.
- Interpreter assistance during initial settlement period, if required.
- Providing 'arrival pack' containing bus schedules, orientation booklet in student's language, and other relevant Christchurch information.
- Making board payments to homestay family 4 weeks' in advance.
- Providing ongoing support to the host family and with the student as necessary.
- Monitoring of placements, including home visits.
For a homestay application form, please either contact the agent directly (see contact details below) or the Accommodation Office.
If you are a student or someone interested in listing your home as a possible homestay, please contact the agent directly.
English Language Students
English Language students who live in a homestay are much more likely to succeed in their study. Their English language skills improve faster, and they get to make friends with New Zealanders.
The University of Canterbury has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.