The UC Teaching Awards recognise excellence in both undergraduate and graduate teaching. Introduce in 2001, the awards also include a $1500 award towards teaching-related activities.
From 2018 a new category of award will be added. The Outstanding Teaching Practice Award will recognise a special contribution by a UC teacher. Up to two will be awarded annually.
For general teaching awards, the sub-committee will be looking for evidence that the nominee (individually or as a team):
- Has maintained over a significant time-frame, high-quality teaching practices which engage students and promote effective learning appropriate to the subject level and the background of the students.
- Is proactive in their professional development as a teacher.
- Has had a positive influence on the teaching practice and/or the professional development of colleagues with respect to teaching and learning - either within their organisation or more widely.
- Has demonstrated commitment, creativity and innovation in their teaching and made a unique contribution in their role as a teacher.
- For Outstanding Teaching Practice awards, the sub-committee will be looking for evidence that the nominee (individually or as a team) has clear, documented evidence of the positive impact the teaching practice has had in relation to at least three of the following: Improved student achievement; improved student retention/enrolment numbers; improved student engagement; new connections with the graduate attributes; interdisciplinary integration and collaborative teaching and/or academic inquiry between colleges/schools/departments.
How to apply
Applications for all teaching awards must be submitted on the Teaching portfolio and application form (Word, 31KB) or, if you are seeking recognition for a particular teaching innovation, you should complete an Outstanding teaching practice award application form (Word, 22KB). Both forms contain all the information you need to prepare and submit a portfolio. You may also wish to look through the UC Teaching Award Nominee Information (Word, 21KB) or the UC Outstanding Teaching Practice Award Nominee Information (Word, 15KB) to help you submit your portfolio.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) (PDF, 149KB)
To see all winners
go to our winners' profile page