Research interests include:
- The effects of forest fragmentation, particularly edge effects, on insect community structure
- The impact of biodiversity loss on trophic structure dynamics and insect-mediated ecosystem process rates
- Canopy entomology, particularly interactions between ground and canopy insect assemblages
- Taxonomy and systematics of the Coleoptera and Diptera (Mycetophilidae)
- Conservation biology
- Restoration ecology
- The impact of pests (introduced Vespula spp. wasps and mammals) and pest control on forest insect communities.