Application of mechanics, computational modeling/simulation, materials, etc. to enhance the structural integrity and durability of engineering system/components/elements/materials.
Development of FAILURE/LIFE PREDICTION models for Engineering Materials (metals/polymers/composites) subject to complex Failure Drivers (mechanical, temperature, moisture, electrical, etc) supported by:
1. Multi-Physics Modeling that includes
* Structural Analysis: fracture, impact, shock and vibration; and
* Diffusion analysis: heat transfer, moisture diffusion, electro-migration; and
* Coupled field analysis: thermo-mechanical, hygro-mechanical, chemical-mechanical, electro-mechanical; etc;
2. Materials Characterization that includes
* Mechanical characterization: multi-axes, rate/environmental-dependent constitutive properties; and
* Physical characterization: moisture diffusion, hygroscopic swelling, chemical cure shrinkage, etc; and
3. Accelerated Testing Methodology
* Development of test methodology that reduce test duration (by factor of 10 or 100) while duplicating the physics of failure.
Successful applications of the above methodologies to defense, microelectronics, and energy industries.